Quick update


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Eastern Region » Jinja
April 30th 2007
Published: April 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi guys.

Just thought I would write a quick update, I know its been a while but there's not much to tell really. Schools are out for a month at the mo so things are really quiet. We've managed to persuasde all our groups to meet twice a week while we have so much extra time and have set up an environmental club at one of our secondary schools for the kids that are hanging around over holidays - but I've still managed to read 3 books this week!!!

Last weekend Kate and I stayed on placement for the first time in an attempt to save some money. Wont be making that mistake again - it was soooo boring!! We ending up eating all day cos it was something to do, so not all that different from a boring weekend at home! I would have done anything for a tub of Ben and Jerry's and a good movie!

This weekend was fun though. A group of us went to visit Heather on placement in Kagulu. Its about 5 hours from Kayunga in the middle of nowhere. But they have the 'Kagulu Rocks' which we climbed. Not sure how high they are but it took about 30-40mins and the rest of the landscape is so flat you could see for miles. The rest of the time we were entertained by the villagers - the place is full of wierd characters! I'll start with 'Crazy' - he's an 8 year old boy with the eyes of a psychopath who threw a puppy down the latrine! Poor Heather couldn't get him out and couldn't bring herself to pee while he was still alive. Then there's Pat - He's a she! A guy who wears the traditional women's African dress, lovely guy, always a bit drunk though! Then there is the local drunk who just invites himself in, sits at the table and speaks pretty impressive English. Can't read it though so wanted us to read the bible to him!

Now its Monday and I'm back in Jinja. Just got some stuff to do at the office then I'll be heading back to Kayunga for a another week. Were making compost this week so should be fun.!!

Hope you all have a good week.

Lots of love, Hannah xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

P.S. Looks like I wont be able to get copies of my holiday photos as Danielle who I was with had her phone and camera last week! Africa sucks sometimes!

Advertisement



30th April 2007

Oh Hannah, love your description of the bizarre characters!! Would love to have a go at illustrating them! Enjoy the rest off your time.xx

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0624s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb