How to book Gorilla Tours in Uganda


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Kampala
May 4th 2017
Published: May 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Craving for a gorilla encounter in Uganda? I would definitely say gorilla tours are the most common types of safaris in Uganda with the 3 days gorilla safariappearing as the most selling / booked itinerary. There are apparently about 880 mountain gorillas left in the world and Uganda harbors half that number in it's forests of Bwindi implicating booking a gorilla trekking safari in Uganda means seeing these primates in huge numbers.

When to go

The best time to see these primates is definitely during the dry months of the year which are June to October and December to February. Just like humans, these mountain gorillas tend to take shelter from the rain during rainy days, which makes it hard for them to be spotted hence, visiting during the dry months will guarantee you a huge sight of these gentle giants.

About mountain gorillas

Gorillas display uncanny human characteristics. The close-knit family groups are headed by a silverback - a mature male - who selects places for the group to eat and sleep, and has many privileges, including the right to feed first. This privilege pays off for the rest of the family, as if the group is threatened, the silverback - weighing up to 120kg (260lbs) - will defend them to the death, if necessary.

Generally though, the gorilla is a gentle species. They are considered to be highly intelligent, have been observed using tools like other great apes, and communicate using a variety of vocal sounds. The name gorilla comes from the Greek gorillai - meaning hairy women.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb