Imagine the risk assessments!


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Kampala
August 4th 2006
Published: August 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Can you imagine the paperwork that would accompany these?!

Children collecting the keys from a teacher's house and opening up the school themselves.

Children sharpening pencils using razor blades.

Children being sent to collect water from the bore hole as the tank is empty.

Children cleaning the school and latrines.

Children ( even P1) left for long periods without a teacher in their classroom.

Children cycling to buy drinks for the staff meeting ( and returning the bottles the next day!)

Children walking home alone, long after dusk.

At home too, African children have a great awareness for their own safety. Joseph ( 4) was 'playing' with a blade about a foot long and hacking it into a tree! Most of the day he plays with no supervision! Victor (1) happily crawls around the kitchen area amongst the fire, charcoal cookers, knives, paraffin lamps, not to mention lizards, chickens etc.

I asked Atenyi how they learn not to burn/cut themselves. It seems they learn from experience the hard way. But to be fair, they do seem perfectly safe!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0792s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb