Journey to Masindi


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Kampala
July 24th 2006
Published: July 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone! thanks for your messages, it's really great to get them when I log on. We're now in Masindi, though tonight is our last night before we go out to our families in the villages - then the challenge will really begin!
We got a further taste of African life on the journey up from Kampala. The first experience was literal as we stopped at a roadside and ate watermelon and pineapple which tasted as you just wouldn't believe possible. In the heat of the day they were more refreshing than any ice lolly. The second experience was a bit different, but equally typical, the fan belt broke on the bus! We all piled out of the bus and sat on the roadside for a while, whilst our driver spoke of it being ready in 'ten minutes'. The heat was getting too much for me, so I moved into the shade of a nearby tree. Being one 'muzungu' by herself, seemed to give the children the confidence to come and say hello. (Everyone was very curious!) The children could introduce themselves and say how old they were, talk about brothers etc. The other GTs came over to join me and an hour later we were quite a little gathering, with various children looking curiously, smiling cautiously and then gradually, sitting down with us (touching to make sure we really were that white). Being a whole load of teachers we did some counting and then taught them the action rhyme ' This is the church, here's the steeple...' which fascinated them and caused much laughter. By the time the bus was ready they had got the rhythm and general intonation in the rhyme if not all the words! Our LCD contact (Barbara) was so apologetic for the bus breaking down, but we'd all had a great time!

Advertisement



25th July 2006

missing Uganda
I just wanted to say how much I enjoy your blog. I've just returned, 3 weeks ago, from being in Lira area and I'm really missing it. The pineapple is wonderful, the people are beautiful and my heart longs to be back. K.

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0204s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb