Fish in a Disco


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Kampala
October 24th 2011
Published: October 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We go to a hotel, just down the road to where we live, to get our internet. In this hotel we buy a few things ranging from just a soda to a full meal depending on how long we are staying there. One evening recently we Skyped back to my parents and decided to experience their fine dining facilities. When we eat out, even though a good size meal only cost £2, we try to make sure we are hungry and ready for the food we are about to eat. It was 8pm (our time) and it was dark. We took a seat and the lights came on, they weren’t any ordinary lights, these were flashy, multi-colour, in your face type of lights that made you think you should be back in primary school sliding on your knees at the end of term disco. To add to the imagery, over the table we first sat under, there was a red light shining into a real life glimmering disco ball.
We quickly moved.
We found ourselves in a disco waiting for our fish and chips, which eventually came out. 1 plate was put before Megan of chips, and then the second with the fish came out, both with plates on top to keep the food hot. To Megs horror one of the plates had a tail sticking out in between the plates at which I quickly took of the top plate and unveiled a fish, head and all. I swear Meg let out a squeak and a tear or 2, followed by a statement of, ‘well you’re going to have to get all the fish out for me.’
Fish in a disco… great.
We later that week decided to Skype Megan’s family; horrified by our experience of just a few days before we decided to make it to the hotel with plenty of time to eat before we get transported back into our childhood memories with the disco ball and sore knees. We arrived, sat down and ordered something that didn’t have a head and a tail, a vegetable curry. Mmm… this is going to be perfect. Sun is slowing setting in view and we wouldn’t have fish eye balls staring us down while we are trying to eat it. The waitress disappeared off with our order off to the kitchen and didn’t come back, at least not for a very long time. We waited, playing a spot of Uno to finish our game before food arrives. 45 minutes later and we start to wonder if waitress has made it to the kitchen to even place our order; and worse yet the sun is 15 minutes away from causing those multi-colour lights to appear again. The sun does set, however, the lights don’t come on and the food by this point is an hour and half late and we haven’t even seen any member of staff or waitress to speak to them about our food situation. Instead by this point we are sat in the dark, not playing Uno any more as we can’t differentiate between the colours we have in front of us.
A lady does come in which we politely ask, ‘is our food on its way?’, ‘there has been a problem she kindly replies.’ My head is now shouting out A PROBLEM AND YOU JUST TELL US NOW. My mouth said otherwise, how long will it be? Anyway… 2 hours after we had ordered, our vegetable curry is here. Yay! A lot of it was missing, from what the menu said, but we were not going to wait any longer in which we were so hungry the food was all gone in 5 minutes flat. The disco lights did eventually come on after sitting in candle light for 10 minutes (some would call this romantic, I just call it annoying).
To top off the evening we went inside and there was no internet to Skype…. ahhhhhh. This has been an evening of endurance and patience.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb