The city with no pedestrian crossings..


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Kampala
April 27th 2010
Published: April 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

having left the extremely quiet and well organised terminal 5 at heathrow, where there's never a queue in sight nor are there any flight announcements (until final calls as i found out!) i stepped out 9 hours later into an enormous sauna. The heat is always so overwhelming the first moment you get off the airconditioned plane and i'd completely forgotten how hot it is out here!

the plane must have only been a seventh full which despite really appreciating the 3 seats to stretch out and actually get some sleep on, i was a little surprised that the large plane hadn't been sent to Spain or the States to pick up the ever waiting passengers , stranded from the volcanic ash fiasco.

Kampala is a busy dynamic city and although nothing really to see, it seems a great place to 'just live' if you're not a traffic phobe that is! i have walked for miles and miles around the city and only come across one, only 1 pedestrian crossing and even that had clearly been copied from the french as the green man came on when some of the traffic was still moving!

It's a real mix of western city meets AFrican city - shopping malls as we find in Europe and also the endless streets of small over the counter stores; shoe shiners doing a roaring trade and those selling a handful of items displayed on a cloth lining the pavements; smart office buildings interspersed among the run down stalls; sheraton hotel with several acres of gardens in the city centre and yet slums in the distance; most people smartly dressed and yet jumping on rickety old minibus taxis; streets tarmaced but lined with dirty drains and litter. not forgetting the taxi drivers on the proul.....'taxi....taxi....taxi", which i;ve heard more that mzungu ! i certainly hope that when i'm back in Europe i won't ignore so many people who try and talk to me!!!

Advertisement



29th April 2010

Welcome back blossica (thats a mix of Jessica and blogger, by the way!). Whats your new home like? xx

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb