Kampala - Day 1


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Kampala
February 1st 2006
Published: February 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Nate & Sarah's HouseNate & Sarah's HouseNate & Sarah's House

Their house is a charming four bedroom, four bath ranch style with red tile roof. The walled in compound has great landscaping and gardens.
Writing from Kampala. We made it here about 10:00 last night and slept this morning until about 11:00 am. Sarah (Marie's daughter) and her husband, Nate, picked us up at the airport and drove us to their place. They have a great house with lots of room, and nice walled in yard with trees and shrubs, etc. and lots of birds.

Last night we had quite a storm. Marie and I were so zonked out that we just thought it was rain and some thunder. But, when we awoke we saw that it blew furniture off the back porch and brought down a branch from their big palm tree.

About 11:00 am while eating breakfast, all of a sudden there was a loud crash and sound of breaking glass ... inside the house. It turns out that a pipe leaked in the attic space and filled the ceiling fixture with water which made it fall down. What a mess of broken glass and water. The irony of all this is that the last time we visited Sarah (Damascus, 2003) her plumbing leaked in her ceiling too.

About 3:00 pm we wandered a few blocks to the market nearby.
Nate & SarahNate & SarahNate & Sarah

Here they are decked out for work .. lookin' pretty sharp I'd say.
Somewhat like India with little stalls and lots of people milling around but not really buying anything. We bought some bananas and a pineapple, and then a chipati like flatbread for a snack. Marie connected with a woman who owned a tailoring shop and made arrangements for the woman to bring in some cutting scraps that we might buy for making quilts.

Right now it's about 7:30 pm. Sarah and Nate came home and wanted to go to their fitness club (where they have computers), so Marie & I are checking our mail.

This should be an interesting trip. Even Kampala, the capital, is more like a small town than a city, so I guess when we leave Kampala it will be VERY Africa-like.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Tusker & NellabarTusker & Nellabar
Tusker & Nellabar

Sarah and Nate's pups ... friendly, frisky and lovey.


9th February 2006

Plumbing
Good thing you're there to fix the plumbing problem. Did you pack any tools?
10th February 2006

Advice on your next trip to Sarah's....
Take your plumbing tools!
10th February 2006

Great photos
We enjoyed checking out your entries today. I phoned Brian to say the newly posted stuff is there. He plans to check it out...did not seem sure he got any text message and asked me if that would be by telephone...?
10th February 2006

Great photos
We enjoyed checking out your entries today. I phoned Brian to say the newly posted stuff is there. He plans to check it out...did not seem sure he got any text message and asked me if that would be by telephone...?
10th February 2006

WHAT A TRIP
Boy, does this sound interesting!!! Verlyn and Bonnie are at a trade show all week so I will share this interesting trip with Verlyn when he gets home. Have a wonderful trip and I look forward to the next adventure.

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb