Meanwhile back at the orphanage...


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Entebbe
March 14th 2008
Published: March 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This blog has been dedicated to NEW HOPE SCHOOL in Uganda. Please start at the beginning of the blog to get a better idea of how I got involved with the school and enjoy the photos, videos, texts of majestic East Africa along the way.

The great thing I find about blogs is that they act as a cultural escape which means you can read them on a lazy Sundays and they should be enjoyable, not a chore... This is actually the last entry not the first. And for those of you who don't already know, I was born in Uganda and this was my first trip home in 35 years.

The school website is nearly ready but in the meantime if you care to make a donation towards the progress of the school, once you have read the full story, please feel free to email me at melissa.horrell@shaw.ca... All monies go directly to the school, there are no admin fees involved.
Thank you already to those who have donated- we have a bright shiny bus to show for it!

The great thing about pictures is that they can, at times, speak for themselves. My trip to East
THE BRIGHT SHINY BUSTHE BRIGHT SHINY BUSTHE BRIGHT SHINY BUS

Dear MELISSA, Greetings from New Hope and my family.We are fine and the children of New Hope love you very much.They long to see you visiting Uganda again. Thank you for loving New Hope.We are expressing our gratitude for raising for us money to buy the bus. Am happy to inform you that the bus was bought and it is now at the school compus,it is for tweety nine seaters.I shall send u the photo of the bus in two days time.I sent a massega to Charlie to inform him that the bus is bought so that he can come and talk a photo as he told me.Thank you,we are looking forward to see you again in Uganda. Yours MUGENDAWALA GODFREY.
Africa was phenomenal; enriching, magical, adventurous, and of course fulfilling on a number of levels.

I have included some more pictures of New Hope School so you can get an idea of what's going on ... When Ollie, my brother, came to the school with me on the day these pictures were taken he came away, in his words, shocked at the conditions the children were living in. We were both overwhelmed by the beautiful welcome dance they preformed for us and the speeches that were made in our honor; the visiting guests. In return Godfrey, the school director, invited my brother and I to give a little speech and neither of us could decline.

Godfrey had to repeat what we said because 'Ugandan English' has a lilt of its own and our accents just didn't equate. Most pupils in Uganda stay in school until the age of 14. The education levels are low because families can't afford to keep their children in school.

One thing I did appreciate tremendously whilst driving through the Ugandan country side was the variety of school uniforms the children wore. The colours of their shirts or pants/skirt were as varied as the range of colours in a light prism. They run through the country side or walk along the sides of the roads in their bright brilliant uniforms, laughing and playing.

For folk who have so little they find ways to create so much joy around them- it's contagious!.. and a great inspiration to carry that sunshine with us.

But, as the pictures illustrate, they also need to finish building the school structure.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb