Post-revolution Tourism on the Carthage Coast


Advertisement
Tunisia's flag
Africa » Tunisia » La Marsa
April 22nd 2011
Published: April 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

It's been soooooooooo long since my last blog now! Sorry everyone!!!!!

Post-revolution we have kept our touristy trips to either local or familiar sites. Things are much better in Tunisia now but we don't feel entirely secure travelling long distances in the dark or venturing too far inland just yet.

It's not a huge problem. There are some great places just on our doorstep. The nearby town of La Goulette is one such example. It's THE place to go for a good cheap fish lunch. There are expensive restaurants there too but we have found one we like and intend to stick with it. For about 15 dinars each we got a delicious plate of freshly cooked fish with delightful chips and some salad. If only they had an alcohol licence - a beer would have topped off the meal perfectly!! After our lunch we walked back along the coast to Carthage. That took us along the beach and through some less than salubrious areas but nobody bothered us at all. Eventually we reached the ancient Punic Port which we must explore further some time.

On another day we climbed the hill at the back of where we live to the French Tunisian war cemetery. It's a nice place to relax in the tranquility for a while and contemplate the sacrifices that so many made. The French graves as usual are marked by a tin helmet. the cemetery is immaculately kept and well worth the visit. The views over Tunis and La Marsa are wonderful.

Back in Carthage we made the trip up Byrsa Hill to the Cathedral of St Louis. Inside we loved the artwork and we wandered around for quite some time. There were not many other tourists in there, and I think we were the only foreigners. Hopefully tourism in Carthage will pick up soon.

We have been working hard too. There have been a lot of classes to catch up on which has made for some long long weeks and short weekends! Sometimes the rewards are great though. Russ was invloved in the BBC School Report project where his class of 11-14 year olds linked up with a school in Devon. It was hard work but well worth it.

With hard work comes hard socialising! Thanks to Internet proxies we were able to see the 6-Nations rugby and enjoyed England's victory over Scotland in the company of one of our Scottish friends! A shame that we couldn't do the job against Ireland the following week to complete the Grand Slam, but we were working for that one anyway! We also met up with friends in the picturesque town of Sidi Bou Said where we sat on a rooftop terrace and smoked shisha as the sun set. Wonderful!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



22nd April 2011

Glad you are safe
Thanks for blogging again. We always enjoy your work. Beautiful photos.

Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0846s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb