BEACH CHILLIN' IN TOGO


Advertisement
Togo's flag
Africa » Togo » Lome
January 13th 2008
Published: January 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Left Kokrobite where we had been camping for days, got to the city of Accra and stopped @ Shoplite at the Accra mall, bought truck food, looks very western, lots of foreigners in the mall. We went to a store where they sell tents and Simon bought one for himself, Mark bought sleep mats, the place is similar to K mart, evrything you need in one.

We drove to the border, took a long time maybe more than 4 hours, the roads are not that bad but mostly unpaved dirt roads, crossed through a bridge on the Volta river, I noticed on the other side people selling huge clams! some are in skewers, Amanda wanted to try some but the truck did not stop so we weren't able to try it. People are waving to us as we pass through very friendly. Got to the border, on the Ghana side did not take long. It was past 5pm by now and the Togo side took forever as we have to apply for the visa there as well, about 3 hours.

Made it to the camping site just outside of the city of Lome, at Chez Alice owned by a
TRUCK SCENETRUCK SCENETRUCK SCENE

ME AND BRYAN SLEEPING, PHOTO COURTESY OF ZOE
Swiss lady who've been here more than 30 years. At first she does not want us staying there it semms and wanted us to camp in the beach but later relented, we ordered our meal at the restaurant, I had a schnitzel and it was fab. Went to bed early, it was quite hot and humid and even with my little fan did not help. Bry and I as usual had a farting contest while brushing our teeth next to our tent, oh well...

Truck breakfast, did my washing, we learned how to fetch water from the well, Raffa gave me some tips and it was cool, I can fill up a bucket in one go! After doing our regular exercise we went for a swim in the beach, it was a pretty beach, but the current is strong, we noticed plies of sand like a pyramid on the beach we later learned the locals harvet them from the beach dry them and make it into a cement block. As pretty as the beach is, litters are everywhere, we found a good spot to lounge around and sunbathe. There were young girls that sat close to us and seem to be trying to get our attention and was flirting a bit, when they left they keep looking at us guys, sad to say but we cant help but wonder whether they are working girls, they're quite young, maybe even teenagers.

Group 6 cooked dinner, then went to bed, the most uncomfortable night yet to date for me, sweating profusely in our tent. Early am I went for a pee heard the dogs barking so decided to stay close to tent, next morning I found out Cam and Amanda got nipped by the dogs during the night when they try to go to the toilet, probably in it's attempt to protect it's pups and territory. Did a morning jod at the beach with Brian, did not go far only ran for 15 mins, tough run, sloping sinking sand.

Later that day went to town with Audrey, Di went with Raffa to the Angola embassy to inquire about visas, we're told we have to apply in Abuja since they will have to send our passport there anyway.
At the market we walked a bit, quite hectic, Audrey and I checked out the fish and crabs being sold then went
KOKROBITEKOKROBITEKOKROBITE

BRIAN READING SMUT PAPER, PHOTO COURTESY OF ANNABEL
to this Catholic church with an interesting architecture, cant remember the name.
Found a lunch place called Marx, met Ingrid and Cam there, had T bone steak while the girls opted for the fish, the t bone was quite tough but tasty. Internet for a bit, very very slow... Got back to camp and went to the beach with Raffa, quite a good swim, tides are coming in but there is a natural barrier to protect us from being sucked in, bid waves..

Next day the truck went to fill up with gas and while waiting I decided my truck breakfast is not enough so ordered a cheese and ham omelette, quite heavenly! Off to Benin for us after that..


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

LOMELOME
LOME

SOME CATHOLIC CHURCH, PHOTO COURTESY OF AUDREY
LOMELOME
LOME

CHEZ ALICE CAMPSITE? PHOTO COURTESY OF JO
TOGO- BENIN FRONTIERTOGO- BENIN FRONTIER
TOGO- BENIN FRONTIER

PHOTO COURTESY OF JO
TRUCK SCENETRUCK SCENE
TRUCK SCENE

ME WATCHING HEROES ON BRYAN'S i POD
LOMELOME
LOME

ME FETCHING WATER FROM THE WELL AT CHEZ ALICE, PHOTO COURTESY OF ZOE
LOMELOME
LOME

CHEZ ALICE
LOMELOME
LOME

KIDS SELLING CRABS


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0639s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb