Zanzibar past meets present


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar » Zanzibar City
April 9th 2005
Published: May 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Lamu DoorsLamu DoorsLamu Doors

A touch of Arab influence seen everywhere in Zanzibar.
Wow...I don't know how else to describe this town. Old, centuries old architecture, Islamic Arab influence ingrained with a mix of Indian and East African (Swahili) heritage, preserved on an island untouched by modernization yet preserved in its time. One could only imagine what bustling business occurred in this town centuries ago, for this sea faring island reeks of history from many cultures past and is infused in its present form. The Persians, Arabs, Portuguese, and Omanis have all touched this area. However, thanks to the Aga Khan trust for culture, the buildings and streets are being preserved and maintained. Must do's in Zanzibar? For sure, staying at the Zanzibar Serena Inn, or even having lunch there (make sure to order the Swahili mix). Also, the Emerson & Green hotel has a beautiful rooftop restaurant. Make sure to get some gelato on the coast (there are small Italian restaurants a 'stone's throw' away from the Serena Inn - no pun intended) Man, I don't want to come back home...you could seriously spend your days in another world as you sit by the Indian Ocean, set adrift on historical bliss. Ah, where does time fly? Here in Zanzibar.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The Zanzibar Serena InnThe Zanzibar Serena Inn
The Zanzibar Serena Inn

Fountain in main lobby. An exquisite hotel owned by the Aga Khan.
Zanzibar Serena InnZanzibar Serena Inn
Zanzibar Serena Inn

Walk out to the Indian Ocean.
Starbucks CANNOT competeStarbucks CANNOT compete
Starbucks CANNOT compete

The best tea and coffee in the world, locally grown and freshly made.
Sea front of Zanzibar ChannelSea front of Zanzibar Channel
Sea front of Zanzibar Channel

Lots of trade still occurs in the region, and you can literally smell the scent of cloves & spices in the air!
Antique Shop - Zanzibar Stone TownAntique Shop - Zanzibar Stone Town
Antique Shop - Zanzibar Stone Town

They're a dime a dozen in Zanzibar. Careful, not all items are as old as they look.
Zanzibar Stone TownZanzibar Stone Town
Zanzibar Stone Town

All streets are as old as they look!
Ismaili JamatkhanaIsmaili Jamatkhana
Ismaili Jamatkhana

The jamatkhana (mosque) for the Ismaili community still sits in perfect condition, thanks to one of the many gentrification projects set up by the Aga Khan Trust for Culture.


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb