Thanksgiving and ZANZIBAR!!


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar » Zanzibar City
December 2nd 2008
Published: December 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

So all of the volunteers and I thought it would be nice to come together and make a thanksgiving feast. I was elected to head up the planning and preparations. WE had chicken (hard to find turkey), stuffing, garlic mashed potato, roasted sweet potato, gravy, and a salad. I was kind of nervous about cooking such an elaborate meal in this kitchen but it worked out great. I brined the chicken, and the oven actually cooked them perfectly, and the bread I used for the stuffing was ideal, and in fact probably the best stuffing I've ever made. We set up all of our tables together, and some of the girls made us hats to wear (dont know why) and had a wonderful time. Everyone was so happy to have different food (the food gets really repetitive after a while), and it actually was good; they even ordered some sodas for us (luxury around here). At the table we all went around and shared what we were thankful for, and it was really a comforting feeling to know that I was surrounded by good people on a holiday that is generally spent with the comfort of family. We also invited all of the people that work in the house to join us, and we shared with them what thanksgiving is. It was really cool to share things about our culture, because for the most part we have just been taking in customs in their culture. They were all so interested, and thankful for our sharing.

The rest of my week was pretty standard, I just kept on teaching the kids what I think they need to know, and a lot of the time just hade fun with them. My main goal has been to make their time at school enjoyable, so that they will have favorable feelings towrds school and hopefully increase the likliehood of them sticking with it, if progress is made in the classroom great, but if it is not, and we had fun, great too.

My mentor Mama Justina caught malaria last week. It really isn't a big deal around here. it is not common for people to catch it 10 or 15 times during their life. Very treatable but still deadly if not treated. I tried to stay in contact with her and make sure she was ok, and she loved all of the concern that I naturally have. Fortunately she is fine now, and is back in school. After this, my other mentor Mama Mkunde's son caught malaria too. Her son is mentally retarded, and refused to take medicine and food, so it was pretty scary for a couple of days, but luckily it all worked out, and he is fine now.

ZANZIBAR


On Friday afternoon one of the other volunteers (Tali) and I headed to Zanzibar for the weekend. I was concerned about delays, among other stressful things that have happened to other volunteers in the past, but our trip wen off with out a hitch. Actually I am confident that I had a much better time then anticipated, and spent far less $$$$ ...woooo!!

We arrived in Stone town in the early afternoon, and checked in to the hotel (hotel Kiponda). The second you step off the plane you are made very aware of the fact that you are back at sea level because the humidity was outrageous, and the smells are distinctly different then back home in Moshi town. The atmoshpere in general was very different the Moshi. The style of buildings are very Arabic, and eastern European influenced, I have never been to eastern Europe but as I walked through the narrow alley ways and looked around thats all I could think of. The population and style of life on the island is so vastly different then in the rural areas of Tanzania. 95% of the population is Muslim, and the main industries are tourism and fishing. It was really nice to see a different side of Africa, especially one that differs in so many ways.

After checking in we set out for dinner. Naturally we were asked by many people to check out their store, in hopes that us rich white folk would buy over priced artwork, but at this point in my trip I have become jaded to the art work and wise to their marketing techniques and didn't get roped in. Fortunately we did get hassled by someone that was offering transportation to the north of the island, for cheaper then expected, so we arranged our ride then, and it alleviated the worry of finding a ride the next day. On the way to the restaurant that was recommended to us we ran into a character named Fisherman David. He informed us of this fish market where we could get really fresh fish and other Zanzibar cuisines for cheap. Fortunately he did not hassle us so we decided to check it out before we went to the restaurant that actually ended up being over priced and not very good. So we followed him over and I was immediately hit with the amazing scent of grilled fish and highly aromatic spices; bothe scents that Zanzibar is so well known for. We got to Fisherman Davids stand and he told us what all of his fresh catches were, and how much it would cost. I really expected to hear outrageous prices, especially because we are white but it was very reasonable, and so worth it. A skewer with a half rock lobster tail and all of the knuckle meat was $3.50. The meat was dusted with this amazing combo of spices, and the meat was so fresh and far more sweet and favorable then Maine Lobster. We also tried Barracuda, Tuna, Prawns and shrimp, all fresh off the grill and more importantly fresh out the Indian Ocean. He gave us a complimentary sugar cane juice and an amazing chocolate and banana dessert that was out of this world (it helps to tell people that we are more then tourists, we are voluntourists!!! ). I loved the meal, and it was even more exciting because Tali is a vegetarian, and it was her first time trying seafood, I think she liked it but I wasn't sure.
The next morning we had an amazing breakfast that was included in the cost of the hotel room ($40). I have never had such an a sweet and juicy mango in my life. We then set out for tour of Stone Town. We met a man named Abdul who offered the tour for cheaper then expected, and ended being really cool, and informative. We walked through the famous fish market, along with the meat and fruits market. All of it was pretty incredible, and incredibly unsanitary, but once again TIA. After this market we heaed to see the world famous slave market and church. We were brought down into a basement where they would hold slaves before and after they were auctioned off. It was literally a room with 3 foot ceilings and canal that ran through. The slaves would be piled in on top of eachother, and used the canal as the toilet. The canal was linked to the sea water so during high tide the canal would be flushed out. Pretty disgusting and terrible. Then in the church we learned all about David Livingston-the person who ultimately ended the slave trade market on Zanziabar. If I remember correctly we was from Scotland, and that is where he was burried. But at the church their is a cross carved from the wood of the tree that grew out from his grave. There was also a really elaborate and interesting shrine in his memory in the church.

After this our tour was essentially over so our guide walked us back to near our hotel. Right next to it is a museum called the The House of Wonders. It is basically a museum of the history of all of Zanzibar. Since we had some time to kill we figured we would check it out. It was pretty cool, but at this point I was pretty tired, and didnt really have the patience. Fortunately we ran into some students, about our age that were studying to become tour guides. Their teacher apparently encourages them to approach white peopole in the museum and give them a tour of the museum so they can parctice their english and practice teaching us Wazungu (white people). SO we got a really detailed (free) tour from these two, very nice, and informative students...Lucked out big time.

We then caught our shuttle to the northern part of the Island called Kendwa. It is a really beautiful beach community, that is semi-over developed, but still had a really natural feel. The few resorts that were along the beach were very far from the water and unobtrusive. The water was amazing......Soo blue and clean. Once again pictures do not do it justice.
We got the beach early enough to spend a few hours swimming and chilling out. Then we had dinner right on the beach at a neighboring resort called Kendwa Rocks; met some people from Australia and Canada and talked to them for a while. We got some more seafood, and it was amazing. We got another rock lobster, this time in the shell so I could see what it actually looks like. The colors on the shell were absolutely amazing. I have never tasted such delicious lobster meat. So sweet and rich....mmmm. Also got some local prawns that were equally delicious.
There ended up being a beach party that night at this particular resort so we stuck around for a bit to see how it was. It ended being really crazy, and consisted of a lot of old, rich, drunk people making fools of them selves, it was quite amusing. Surprisingly there is a large population of Massai on Zanzibar, and they sometimes come out to these parties. It was so weird to see them there, but it was cool see them dancing to western music. I got the biggest kick out of how they reacted to the music and how they danced....so intersting. And I found that they are very attracted to over-weight white women, becasue they tried to dance with all of the them...some with great success. In fact it even appeared that some of the ladies invited the massai men back to their hotel room....kinda weird but funny to see.

The next day Was spent on the beach. Check out was at 10 and we didnt leave until 4. It was so nice to just relax on the beach, and swim in that water. Plenty of pics to share when I get home.


The ride to the airport was fine and our flight was perfect. No problems at all "hakuna matata".


Baadye,

Niko


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb