a teaser


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar » Zanzibar City
October 7th 2007
Published: October 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

a couple quotes and a fun fact or two... will most likely write a real update at some point... but it does not look like today.

1. Fun fact: to put something into an electric socket you first have to shove a thin object (metal bobby pins work just fine) into the socket to release the socket for the other plug... a kid-friendly device here... might not translate so well.

2. 2 kids on the program have gotten Malaria so far... on a good year its 50% or less of the group... so we're up and running...


QUOTES: you have to keep in mind that bodily functions are a much more prevalent aspect of our daily lives here than they are at home. On that note: I am not attributing quotes to anyone in particular b/c not sure about the embarrassment factor.

* "I can shake and bake; no problem." on the subject of pit toilets without toilet paper.

* "We are practicing safe salad."

* "These are so much better than squirrels!" on the subject of the vervet monkeys that run around on the University of Dar Es Salaam's campus . . . Sorry Alice.

* "I'm just trying to get a little bit of diarreah." on eating essentially unwashed street veggies to cure nine days of constipation.

* A: "So guys, we can't go out tonight because there might be a lion sleeping on our porch." B: "Welcome to the real world." (Oh how I love MIKUMI National Park.)

* "They're fucking sneaky." on the subject of the assumed lion growl about 50 feet away in the pitch dark, and the screaming that ensued...

SO I just spent 8 days in Dar es Salaam... was kind of a strange time... we didn't really see a lot of the city, very confusing place, and we spent most of our time on campus and then 2 days at Mikumi National Park... we saw elephants and lions and giraffes and zebras and baboons and crocs and hippos and impala and warthogs and ... lots of gorgeous birds and babies of all of the above and with the exception of a stolen camera and the loss of if I say so myself AMAZING photos... life is pretty fantastic. So that is the update for now... kisses

PS: if anyone just randomly in the TZ network reads this and for some reason has come across a "used" Canon S2IS camera w/really happy game drive/ all the photos I've taken here photos and wants to return it to me/direct me to it.... feel free to send me a message...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb