Africa has been no holiday... Untill now!


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar » Zanzibar City
March 19th 2007
Published: August 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Stone TownStone TownStone Town

Walking through the streets finding a hotell in a tropical thunderstorm

You know you've been roughing it when you board a ferry and are oooohing and ahhhhing at the carpeted floors, cushioned seats and televisions.

Amena and i are now happily in Zanzibar... Not as planned but neverless we're here and it's hidiously beautiful (i'll explain later).

So we departed Mbeya on Friday morning for Arusha (Northern Tanzania). Our journey had an interesting route via the east Dar Es Salaam. On our way we travelled throught a national Park and I saw my first Elephants. They we're right there in little heards of 4-5. It was so surreal. i whacked Amena in excitement when i saw two girraffes just chilling out. We also saw antelope but no lions as yet/. It was crazy cos we were'nt expecting it and had been riding in the bus since 5am and it was getting late into the afternoon.

Tanzanian generally dont speak very much english so communication is hard. We knew we had to change buses just before Dar to head to Arusha, so departed when a gentleman waved at us to follow him. As teh bus sped away turns out he was in on the con that had just been
Waiting for the busWaiting for the busWaiting for the bus

Amena and i waiting for the bus to "Arusha"
played on us. We spent a fair ammount of money to get to Arusha however were now stuck in this disgusting town in the middle of Tanzania with no bus tickets and no one who spoke english. turns out the bus company doesn't even go to Arusha and they had planned to leave us stranded all along. At least we were together thoug. went to the policestation to see what they could do but after numerous conversation explaining what had happened we aborted the mission. They didnt even have a phone in the station.. what the?

Anywho as a huge thunderstorm spproached we jumped on a passing minibus and headedd to Dar. Which is the unnofficial capital. Its a dirty town. by the time we arrived it was dark and we had to navigate our way to a hotel. We decided that whilst we were on the eat coast we would head to Zanzibar the next day and go up to Arusha later.

So here we are... in the disgustingly beatuifull Island of Zanzibar.

As the ferry docked another massive stormed pelted us with rain and lightning... as it is now the wet season. Because were on
Dar Es SalaamDar Es SalaamDar Es Salaam

Not a pretty town, with poor infastructure
budget Amena and i opted not to grab a cab but walk to the town in the pooring rain. The streets are narrow and are like a maze turning one corner and entering another alleyway.. its cute. the alleyways turned into rivers and we walked from hotel to hotel through them to find a bargain. The Peaerl Lodge offered us 30,000shilling per night totalling 120,000shilling for the four nights we intended on staying. After much bartering we won getting the room for a totall of 55,000shilling (approx. US $55) for the four nights. whooooooo! Tanzania 1, Mel 1.

The weather cleared in the afternoon and we went exploring the countless curio shops nestled in the alleyways selling wood carvings, paintings, jewellery etc etc. Last night for dinner we went to the Forodani Garden market for dinner. As seen in the pic it is seafoof after seafood that they cook for you at an agreed price. We got a feast that was too big to finish (amazing for me i know) for $15. sooo good.


Today was spent on the northern tip of the Island at Nungwi beach. The road leading to the shore is covered in rubbish
Disgusting...Disgusting...Disgusting...

Road to Numgwi Beach
and is disgusting. but as you step foot onto the beach it is a tropical paradise. crystal clear water, blue skies, white sand, plenty of star fish etc etc. truly stunning.

so now were back in stone town and going to head back to the markets for dinner..... thats after a cocktail in the Africa Lodge hotel (a five star place) where the bar overlooks the ocean for sunset.... ow 😊

so it hasnt all been fun.. but its sure worth it in the end!

xoxo

thanx for all your comments too it so humbling to hear that your thinkin of me and great to hear whats happening back home.... keep em coming 😊



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

..Beautiful..Beautiful
..Beautiful

Nungwi Beach... stunning!
lets golets go
lets go

carrying our stuff to an offshore sand bar for a day of sun baking
Whooooooo!Whooooooo!
Whooooooo!

This is Me..... on our sand bar approx 800m offshore cos the tide was out
ooooopsooooops
ooooops

This is Me..... getting a ride back to shore with a local fisherman... as the tide came in we were stranded. hehe
Foradani MarketsForadani Markets
Foradani Markets

So much seafood... so little mel
Beer in a glassBeer in a glass
Beer in a glass

the one i had after writing last entry. it was sweet


20th March 2007

Take Care
Mel...Your adventure to date has been amazing...but as your parent...please take care.
21st March 2007

melania! so i bumped into marg the other day and i think i may have accidentally scared the shit out of her by telling her that zanzibar is a haven for white kidnappings! my bad... here's some trivia for you! did you know zanzibar is the birth place of Queen frontman, Freddy Mercury?! yes you probably do, but i will tell you trivia on all the places you are visiting in order to pimp yourknowledge! after all.. i did win an audition for Temptation! on channel 9! wooooo, wish me luck, it's next friday.. so please look out for yourself.. even though i know you're not a dumb girl.. i still worry for you sometimes, in the crazy but beautiful africa! love you lots and miss you heaps!!!
21st March 2007

Hey mel, your blog entries have great, keep em coming, be safe and take care. luv ya xxx

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0724s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb