Zen like in Zanzibar


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar » Nungwi
September 2nd 2017
Published: September 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The next day was spent mainly on the bus with a long drive to the Tanzanian boarder. We kept ourselves entertained with games such as charades and singing along to music on mass. We even managed to watch some of the new game of thrones! Once at the border we got our visas and headed to camp. We got to camp really late and the light had already gone as we pitched the tents and cooked dinner. We would be up early the next day so we were keen to get dinner and go to bed. In a tired stupor I sat down on a bench next to a few of the guys with my food and as I did the whole bench collapsed onto us!! I ended up with spaghetti bolognese all in my lap and actually burning my leg!! Thankfully I wasn't physically hurt but my ego was in intensive care! Again we were up early the next day heading for Dar es Salam. We arrived at the port bleary eyed keen to get to Zanzibar. Just the small matter of a ferry- as usual I slept the whole way!!! We arrived as the weather was about to turn from sunny to rainy and the port was chaos! After making it out alive and getting our passports stamped we were onto a bus for a transfer to the tip of the island.
Already Zanzibar felt different- less pushy and more relaxed. We got to our hotel- yes you read correctly a HOTEL!! Four solid walls, a bed AND a private bathroom (it's the small things in life). The beach was calling so after a bite to eat we were on the beach chilling in the crystal clear blue waters! Heaven!
That evening we had a group meal that ultimately lead to debauchery in the form of dancing, drinking and swimming in the pool after dark!
Heads sore the next day it was some well needed rest before and afternoon boat trip with supposedly unlimited beer! We stopped off and did some snorkelling, saw some more fish (slightly disappointed with the selection... but then again we've been spoilt over the past months!) before getting back on the boat for sunset. Whilst some people may say sunsets are meant to be romantic and relaxing ours wasn't. In fact it was hilarious! It was spent jumping off a moving boat to pee in the sea!! ( we all know we do it!) Jo nearly jumped on me, we nearly drowned having to form a human chain of four people to get back onto the boat and I lost a pair of sunglasses! We weren't drunk at all...! Back on dry land it was a quieter night of dinner and drinks before bed. The next day we headed off to a spice plantation as Zanzibar is the spice capital of the world! We saw and tried a variety of spices including cinnamon, chilli, peppercorns and coconuts. I sensibly opted out of trying the chilli but unfortunately the boys didn't and it was hilarious! Some of them were physically dribbling where it was so spicy- needless to say it provided loads of entertainment. Next up we met a crazy man climbing a coconut tree getting coconuts for us all to drink. Thankfully refreshed we made a quick pit stop at the gift shop to buy some spices for home.
Back on the bus we were headed to the island capital called stone town.
In stone town we were staying in a traditional villa/ hotel! It was lovely. That evening we tried another shot at sunset. This time from a rooftop bar with some cocktails! The evening continued to get better as we had a fab curry and then headed back to the hotel, with some of us watching the final instalment of game of thrones!
Up early the next morning the crossing back to mainland this time was really rough and quite a few people were ill- me again sleeping like a baby!
It was back on the bus and again another long days drive to get to camp that evening. We arrived and it was quite possibly the worse camp we stayed at the whole duration of our stay! Crumbling toilets, non existent showers and really poorly kept camping space. Still it was only for one night!!
We're heading into Arusha tomorrow to prepare for the final safari experience in the Serengeti!
See you for another walk on the wild side
Lauren and Jo x


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb