Last lovely days in Tanzania


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar » Nungwi
September 20th 2008
Published: September 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

From Malawi it was time for the last two legs of our African trip: into the Tanzanian Highlands and via Dar es Salam to Zanzibar, the Spice Island. After a long drive through a valley filled with the magnificent baobab trees (which look like they have been stuck in the ground upside down) we arrived in Iringa were the drop in temperature was noticeable- we even considered digging out the woolly hats again. The campground was great - guarded by Masai warriors who appeared silently out of the night and scared the crap out of everyone. Everyone was tired after an early start and bumpy ride and after a hot chocolate with Amarula in the fantastic bar which was heated by coal-filled terracotta pots, we opted for our tent at 20.30 in the knowledge that our last leg in the yellow machine would start at 5 am.

Zanzibar is a lovely island with stunning scenery, great spices and quite some history. Upon arrival we were taken for a tour of its capital Zanzibar Town also known as Stone Town. Daniel our guide gave us a very good tour and history of slavery before taking us on a spice tour on one of the islands spice plantations. Vanilla, lemon grass, avocado, pepper, coffee, cinnamon, cardoman, cloves and nutmeg are all here in abundancy. The tour was wrapped up with a lovely lunch in a family home where we had an audience of hungry chefs (It's their holy month and Ramadan was strictly observed).

The remaining few days on Zanzibar consisted of relaxing on the beach and looking back on all the great things of the past 7 weeks we've been away. We did manage to dance the night away at a great full moon party and thanks to getting to know a rather odd character called The Governor we got at lift back to our accomodation by dhow at sunrise. This meant we were a lot less wet than others who returned earlier and found that due to high tide they had to swim rather than walk along the coast line! We were also rather surprised to find a huge number of Masai on the dancefloor all keen on dancing with mzungu. Difficult to say no....

After laying low in Dar es Salaam (a very messy city) on the way back, we've a flight to Johannesberg airport where we spend one night before our Asian adventure start in Hong Kong, we will get back to Africa for sure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 13; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0921s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb