Into Tanzania


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » West » Mbeya
June 4th 2003
Published: June 4th 2003
Edit Blog Post

We headed out of Malawi which was a very relaxed place to stay by the beautiful lake and into Tanzania. We didn't make the border in one day from Ngata bay so ended up stopping for a night at the border with a couple of Americans on the same combi as us. After finding and guesthouse in the dark they lent us some lanterns and we got some great rice, beans and beer form a local restaurant. We changed some money with the guesthouse owners friends and got an early night - a little earlier than the two american girls who were up chatting through their closed door to the boys around the guesthouse who were offering them all sorts of things..
I think one of them said she had a stomach ache so was asked if she would like an African baby. It also seemed sad for the boys that the two girls were sharing a bed so they were offered space in other beds around the place.
Once in Tanzania the next day we managed to join the nightbus with a dutch couple on. Both the Americans and the Dutch told us how nice the trainride from Mbeya to Dar es Salaam is supposed to be so we decided to take it. The Americans then decided to stay on the bus in Mbeya and ride it right through the day to Dar arriving at midnight with no local money at the bus station 10km from town which we thought was a bit mad but it saved them changing transportation.
We hung around in Mbeya for a day since the train had already left that day (luckily there was one the next day). Mbeya was a pretty cool place. Tanzania seemingly the most developed country we have been in for a while.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb