Safari - Grumeti River


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Serengeti National Park
July 8th 2012
Published: July 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today we take another long drive, this time west to the Grumeti River in search of the great Wildebeest migration, which is something I really want to see. The herds of Wildebeest and Zebra slowly thicken as we move west and suddenly, it seems, the plain is completely filled with Wildebeest, what an awesome site. I had hoped we might see the herds crossing the Grumeti River, it was a long shot, but you hope for these things. I didn't quite get my wish but as we came to the river ford the bodies of those Widebeest that had attempted the crossing and failed were piled up in the river with a vast flock of Vultures and Maribu Storks feasting on the carcasses. You definitely didn't want to get downwind of that lot. As we follow the huge herds we come across a pride of Lions finishing off the remains of a Widebeest killed during the night while the herds file past, quite unconcerned, only 50 metres away. Then it's back to camp with a stop on the way for a couple of the girls to be briefed for their Ballon Trip in the morning, while the rest of us settle in with a cold beer to watch the Rock Hyrax and Dwarf Mongoose running about. Back to camp for another 4 course dinner (sigh).

Awesome day - have ticked off yet another item on my bucket list - I have seen the Widebeest Migration!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0995s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb