DAY 3 - Serengeti


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Serengeti National Park
June 25th 2011
Published: December 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We took a 30-minute chartered flight from Manyara to Seronera, then got into some even nicer jeeps and headed out for our first Serengeti game drive on the way to our camp. Some highlights included seeing a female leopard sharing her kill in a tree with her cubs, a cheetah with a kill, giraffes, elephants, a secretary bird, some hippos, and my favorite, the adorable little Thomson gazelles with their sporty racing stripes and flapping little tails as if they are so happy to see us. Seeing my first giraffe in the landscape, stepping back from an acacia tree, was really special. They are so beautiful. Then we stopped and we were suddenly 15 feet from a lion. It really unnerved me. I couldn’t understand why no one else was alarmed, but then it was explained that they don’t see us as food; their own food is plentiful. Still, it was amazing to be so close you could see his amber eyes. Just magnificent.In the afternoon it started to rain, and a bolt of lightning struck so close to our jeep you could see the dirt and smoke burst into the air; it was time to head to camp.

The Mwanga Moto mobile camp was first class bush luxury. We were greeted upon our arrival by the staff, champagne in hand, and given a nice lunch. Our tent was equipped with two king-sized beds, down comforters, lights, writing desk with snacks, hot showers and a flush toilet. This is how I like to camp!

In addition to our private tent, which included a zipped-in porch, there was a dining tent and a game tent for the kids. But the main gathering area (besides the open bar!) was the campfire, also known as “Maasai TV.” Every evening before and after dinner we would sip our beverage of choice (South African cabernet, ice cold Kilimanjaro or Cola Light) and talk about the day with the 19 other folks in the group, plus the guides and staff.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb