cheetahs sometime prosper


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Serengeti National Park
May 27th 2005
Published: November 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

it was our last day in serengeti. our mission: cheetah hunting.

we drove about an hour from our hotel to enter a different section of the park where cheetahs are known to frequent.

in this area of the park you are allowed to drive off-road. we start driving through the plains and circling the kopjes, or rock formations, that are common in serengeti. these rocks are often hangouts of lions, where they are often found basking in the sun.

we drove for hours. nada. to give you an idea of the size of serengeti, it's roughly the size of england. and here we are trying to find the fastest, and one of the most elusive, animals in nature. "it's like trying to find a cheetah in the serengeti" should be the expression.

finally after circling another kopje and finding nothing, we decide to stop for lunch under an acacia tree. we're tired, sore from bumping around all morning, hungry and all dying for the toilet. i get out first. as i'm squating behind the van, minding my own business, i hear "aud! come on! he sees a cheetah!" what? where?? i'm a bit vulnerable here! lucky i'm fast in the bathroom and was in the van in seconds. sure enough, there she was, still a dot in the binoculars. phew.

labor pains.

we drove down to find one of the most beautiful and striking creatures i have ever had the priveledge of seeing. i was literally shaking with excitement. i could not believe that i was not more than 10 feet from a 3 year old female cheetah. what a site.

she was on the hunt. and we were not helping the cause, inching behind her not to miss a moment. she'd walk 20 feet, we'd start the van again to follow. humans are such a nuisense. she kept looking back at us like, hey! leave me alone. how can i do my job with you on my tail!

we got the message. we kept the van in one place and she goes off to the gazelles.
suddenly her ears go back and her stance changes. she sees what she wants. a baby gazelle. she's ready. oh my god. i'm watching a cheetah hunt! she goes. oh my god! i'm watching a cheetah run! my heart is racing.

she misses.
i breathe.

undetered, she saunters down the plain in another direction with us not too far behind. we again stop the van and let her go about her business.

she approaches another herd of gazelle. they are going bananas. criss crossing in front of her to confuse her. running back and forth trying to intimidate her. she continues strolling, as if she sees nothing. then, she locks on her target. ears back, she's off. the chase goes on no more than 20 seconds. there's a cloud of dust.

she kills.

oh my god! i just saw a cheetah make a kill!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb