Safari!!


Advertisement
Published: June 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

How to describe three indescribable days in a short enough fashion so that you don’t nod off? <span><span> It was so fabulous that words will never do it justice and even Sydney’s amazing photos and Dave’s fabulous videos will fall short because of the scope and magnitude.<span> Safaris are on <span>rough roads, very dusty and dirty and SOOO worth it.



We left Friday about 2:30pm and within 2 hours we had giraffes walking off the road eating trees!<span> They are so rangy and gorgeous.<span> I had never noticed how big and knobby their knees are.<span> At the zoo the giraffe enclosure is usually very stinky.<span> I am happy to report that in the wild – no smell!<span> We stopped at a Massai village and were welcomed with song and dancing.<span> We and most of the women in our group were invited to dance with the women, so of course we did!<span> The Massai are nomadic, pastoral people who practice polygomy.<span> They raise cows and goats and the wealth of a warrior is tied to the number of cows he owns – if he has enough money he can take a new wife.<span> Each wife gets her own house (which she builds) from timber, and <span> cow dung mixed with ash and water.<span> Every house is identical.<span> We were able to go inside – it was very small, dark and uncomfortably hot.<span> They answered questions – a number <span> of the men speak good English.<span> The women set up a shopping area and we tried on bracelets, necklaces, and <span> the collars they are so famous for.



<span>



Saturday, morning, after a night of no sleep, we headed for the Crater<span> The Ngorongoro Crater has been described as the 8th wonder of the world and I would agree.<span> So much life, so many different ecosystems in a relatively small area.<span> Based on fossil evidence found at the Olduvai Gorge, it is known that various human-like species have occupied the area for 3 million years. Ngorongoro was originally part of the Serengeti and still abuts the Serengeti on the NW.<span> The top of the crater (formed through volcanic activity) is a mist forest and looks very jungle-ish. <span> Baboons, greeted us on the road.<span> They were totally unconcerned with our presence and groomed each other, letting the safari vans detour around them.<span> <span> Moments later we encountered our first large mammals – herds of zebra, wildebeest and gazelle.<span> <span> It’s an awesome sight to see plains covered with these animals.<span> We saw herds of hippos (in fact we had <span> our picnic lunch at a big pond/small lake with 2 dozen hippos) , 4 very rare and endangered black rhinos, lions up close and personal including a romantic encounter between male and female!<span> We even spotted a lion in a tree – really, there are tree climbing lions in the Crater and in Tarangire (where we visit tomorrow).<span> They don’t actually climb like a house cat but they choose trees that have a big branch that angles off and parallels the ground about 6 – 12 ‘ high.<span> They use the perch to give them an advantage when searching for prey.<span> There were so many flamingos on the lake in the center of the crater that they turn the water pink.<span> We saw warthog, waterbuck, jackals, hyena and elephants, crested cranes, stork, dik-dik and probably many more that are slipping my mind right now!

<span>

<span>



Saturday night we had an African dance, singing presentation complete with acrobatics that rival cirque de soleil without the equipment and elaborate costumes.



Today we went to Tarangire national park.<span> The hilly landscape is dotted with vast numbers of Baobab trees, dense bush and high grasses.<span> There were even palm trees in one section of the park.<span> This park is home to huge numbers of elephant and we saw them in many settings.<span> Our closest encounter came when a family group of elephants crossed the road between 2 of the vehicles in our group!<span> We saw perhaps 10 giraffe, a bazillion zebra and wildebeest, and a zebra carcass at the side of a riverbank – a recent kill we thought (there was still skin attached which was how we identified the victim).<span> We saw no evidence of lion but our guide (who was amazing) assured us that the female (who makes the kills) was lying nearby protecting her kill.<span> After 5 minutes or so, a male lion walked from the side of the river we were on into the shallow <span> river. Then we noticed the female crossing through the high grass on the other side of the river.<span> Three cubs followed their father and they met the female near the carcass. They pawed at each other, the male roared and then they took turns eating with the cubs last.<span> Termite mound abound, some taller than a person.<span> Mongoose take over abandoned mounds.<span> The birds were varied and colorful.<span> I remember seeing Cory Bustards (the largest bird that can fly) and ostrich, kites, several species of storks and we saw an African fish eagle.



That’s it for tonight.<span> We are very tired and ready for bed.<span> Dave and Syd both worked on downloading/uploading photos so perhaps there will be a link to photos very soon.



Love,

Sharon, Dave & Sydney

Advertisement



24th June 2012

Your blog
Sharon,Dave and Syd, You have no idea how much I enjoyed reading todays blog. Sharon your writting is so explicit, I felt as if I were there. I don't know how you're finding the time, but thank you again.
25th June 2012

Safari!!
Wow...love your descriptions and can't wait to see pictures!!

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb