Ngorongoro and Serengeti


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Ngorongoro Conservation Area
October 14th 2008
Published: December 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Early rise today to get to the crater gates when the park opens, we then spent an hour waiting for something that none of us knew what we were waiting for.. We entered the park and we couldn't see a thing it was really misty. Once we descended into the crater (which is actually a Caldara) it was clear and we could see all around. The call came over the radio that a Cheetah had been spotted so we raced to the site but it was too far from the road for us to see clearly. We drove around and saw loads of antelope and Zebras. We got another call to say a black Rhino had been spotted and we got there just in time to catch a glimpse. Next up was a male lion who we all called comb over due to his mane!! We drove around some more and saw Ostrich with a bright pink neck. We later found out the other group had seen him mating and that is why he was so pink!! Up ahead we saw a load of jeeps which usually means something big has been spotted. When we got there we found a female Lion eating a Zebra all the guts were hanging out!!! On the way to lunch we saw a Serval cat stalking and killing something that looked like a mouse. At lunch Simon had his sandwich stolen by a cheeky hawk. We then took the long, bumpy and very dusty drive to the Serengeti NP… our guide thought it was a stage of the Dakar rally. We drove to a watering hole and saw loads of tired hippos and a few Zebras. We had to go to a lodge to get the final arrangements for a hot air balloon flight and sign the usual indemnity waver. On the way to our bush camp we came across two leopards (we think one female and one cub, the light was failing so could not be sure) We pitched our tent in the dark but close to everyone else so we would not be eaten first. Food then bed…. Up at 4am the next day… and we didn’t get eaten.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



8th December 2008

Comb, hair?
Not sure which has the longest mane, the lion or NJS, both could do with a decent haircut.

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb