Home Stays, Meru Peak and Safari


Advertisement
Published: June 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday- The 10th the group went to the meru district hospital and met the District medical officer who was the only M.D. in the entire hospital which served 250,000 people and 150 new patients a day. He explained the Tanzanian Medical System which allows "doctors" known as Assitant Medical Officers who don't have a medical degree to perfrom surgeries without the M.D. present. The Hospital was made up of of many small seperate buildings connected only by dirt and gravel paths. Not only was the layout and the qualifications of the "doctors" shocking the hospital didn't have a washer and dryer so they hand to hand wash everything including towels, bedsheets and clothing. A Tanzanian women was lucky enough to have Dr. Salaymeh assist on her operation. Although he was shocked at the conditions he was able to remove her ovary and convince the Assisatant Medical Officer to leave her other ovary intact.

After an imformatvie tour around the hospital we split up into pairs and met our homestay families who were all friends of Alex a Tanzanian native who now resides in Milwaukee. Although we were all apprehensive about staying with these families who we just recently met, we
On the Edge of the CraterOn the Edge of the CraterOn the Edge of the Crater

Here's the whole group in front of the Crater
were pleasantly surprised with their hospitality and our informative conversations about the Tanzanian culture and society.

Wednesday- The 11th we visited a nursery called Meru Peak run by a local Tanzanian called Baba Juma. The children ranged from 3-6 years old. They were cramped into two small 10x10 rooms with 30 kids each. Some of the group went into a local market to buy painting supplies while others remained behind and made new signs for the classrooms. Then the group repainted both classrooms who were in dire need of a fresh coat of paint.

Thursday- The 12th we woke up a little earlier to get to the U.N. Tribunal on time. We were all shocked by how slowly the trial proceeded. The slow pace and early timing helped us acheive a well needed power nap during the proceedings. However later that evening we gained a much more interesting and imformative briefing on the case. Apollos, a investigator for the defesene and native Rwandan, came to speak to us at our hotel. He has been investigating for the same defendant for four years while the Trials for the Rwandan Genocide have been going on for 14 years.

Friday- The 13th we left for the Ngorongoro Crater for Safari. On our way we stopped at the Manyara Ranch School. We saw the new infirmary, which many USM and Milwaukee families donated money to build. We also stopped at a Massai Boma. We saw native dress, dancing, and homes.

Saturday- The 14th we woke up at 5:30 to get an early start to see the majestic wildlife at the dramatic Ngorongoro Crater. We saw many animals such as Wildabeast, Zebra, Lion, Elephants, Baboons, Hippos, and various birds. During lunch Rawlings and Helen got to see Vermant monkeys, when they climbed in our van and stole Rawlings' butter sandwhich and bit her, giving her rabies. Two hours later she was foaming at the mouth and bit Helen and we had to put her down (sorry Mrs. Long)....... just kidding about the bite, but the monkey did steal Rawlings sandwhich.

peace

Rawlings and Helen



Advertisement



15th June 2008

Amazing!
Sounds like an amazing trip! Thanks for keeping us informed as to what you are doing and how things are going. Sorry to hear about the sandwich, but that is better than rabies. Karen (Helen's Aunt)

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb