Ngorongoro and other delights


Advertisement
Published: May 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

hey everyone,
i know i'm behind with the blog, sorry! (pole!) the internet is tempermental here and we have been super busy.

the Nogorongoro Crater: two words - friggin amazing!! safari is probably the most fun i have ever had. it was crazy awesome!! we camped out side the park and drove in early saturday morning. the views are outstanding, very jungling on the way up and then as you descend into the crater you can see the whole interior which is like a large plain with a lake in the middle. within minutes we were in the minute of a zebra herd. we drove right through them as they were hanging out by the road. we were about 3 meters away. the safari landrover is cool, you can stand on the seats while the guide drives and have your top half sticking out of the roof! super fun, although i ended up with brusies on my sides from banging against the roof opening. (don't worry mom it's safe). we saw lots of gazelles too, they graze with the zebras, as well as wildebeasts, they all hang out together because they have different strengths for detecting predatures, smell, sight, etc. it was so cool, there were thousands of the grazing animals. next we drove on and came across a lion! she was sitting behind a small shrub trying to stay cool. we were pretty close to her too. we also saw a whole family of lions at another place. they came right up to the trucks, they even sit beside the trucks for shade! because there is no other shade available. they were very close!!! we saw the endangered black rhino, but only in the distance, you can't drive everywhere in the park, only specified roads, so we couldn't get any closer to them. we also saw hippos swimming in a lake, they were pretty submerged but their backs and eyes popped out. we saw elephants in the distance, and lots of birds, and ostriches. we had a picnic lunch and continued on in the crater, we saw african buffalo too, they also grave in herds. we drove back to camp where we had dinner from chef mr beans, and enjoyed a beer, kilimanjaro brand of course.

sunday we drove to lake manyara park to check out the animals there. our first sighting was a giraffe! he was eating from a tree. we saw lots of baboons, they walk along the roads, they had lots of babies. They are so human like, we even saw a pair, um mating. our next big viewing was a family of elephants, they were huge and very close to us as well. there was a baby and he was playing with a stick. they walked right in front of our truck, and a few crossed the road right behind us, it was very surreal! we also saw lots of monkeys, we even saw 2 monkeys steal a banana, egg and a juice box from a safari truck at the bathroom stop, it was very funny!

safari was fabulous, although we didn't see a cheetah or leopard, which are very rare and special to see. emily and i (the girl from ottawa) hope to safari again in the serengeti after we finish volunteering.

hope all is well with you guys. heath 😊

Advertisement



28th May 2007

Wow...!
That is so amazing to hear about the safari and the animals and the landsacpe, it all sounds so incredible. I can't wait to hear about it in person! Enjoy it Heath, I am enjoying vicariously!!!
28th May 2007

haha! monkey porn! (or rather, ape porn since baboons aren't really monkeys...) btw, i'm gonna take some golf lessons with rema in june, so i'll be all set for this year's tourney!
28th May 2007

those frisky monkeys...
Hey Heath--wow! The safari sounds awesome. I can't believe you saw all those animals--that's so cool. I would have pooped my pants with the lions being so close! Glad to see you're doing well. Miss you! Andrea
30th May 2007

sweet vince! can't wait to golf when i get back! i don't think they have golf here....more just hitting each other with sticks... (the kids)
30th May 2007

yes it was pretty surreal! we just booked our second safari to serengeti so i'm super pumped! missyah!

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb