Happy's Wedding


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Moshi
March 12th 2007
Published: March 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Went to a wedding on Saturday. Despite never having met Happy all the volunteers were invited. I think it might of had something to do with the fact we had to pay! 10000TSH each (about $8) I'm sure the other guests didn't pay, just the Mzungus. We were all about 20 mins late as we had problems with our taxi driver but the bride kept the groom waiting for an hour and a half so we didn't feel so bad. There actually weren't that many guests at the church ceremony. Not even the parents, I think the main part is the 'send off' which happens earlier in the week. This is when the bride parents give their daughter away.
Between the church and the reception there is a parade all around the town. It is a long procession of cars and a band on the back of the truck. All the volunteers were crammed into the back of this minibus. So funny and very sweaty. The reception was amazing. Although it wasn't until about 10pm that we ate because there are loads of speeches and dances. And nstead of having a cake like we would have at home the bride and groom carve a whole roasted cow! Pretty revolting really. The bride and groom didn't show any signs of affection towards each other at any point during the day. In fact I'm not even sure if they talked to each other. I think partly it is that there aren't any public displays of affection allowed but i'm sure they were allowed to talk!
It was a really fun day and it was a chance to have a party with the other volunteer too. As a result i had a pretty bad hangover on Sunday. I spent most of the day snoozing by the pool at a local hotel. Happy days!!

xxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0172s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb