Choosing the Marangu Route of Mount Kilimanjaro


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Moshi
July 31st 2003
Published: July 31st 2018
Edit Blog Post

The "Coca-cola Mountain Kilimanjaro stands at 19,340 feet and is the highest free-standing mountain in the world. It has three high peaks namely Shira (the oldest volcano peak), Mawenzi (erupted after shira) and Kibo (the highest peak). For the twenty thousand or more mountain climbing tourists who visit Kilimanjaro each year, it is apparent that it is not something they want to do by themselves. It is not possible to climb to any of the peaks without guides. I'm proud to say I'm one of a few people who has braved this mountain route (Marangu) 4 times and Machame once. 3 climbs in 10 years feels righteous. Well the last climb was more than 5 years ago. I climbed the Machame route with a group of 7 German climbers. (I used to be a travel and tour operator).

Kilimanjaro is and has always been a guided climb, without a guide you are lost. It is the most dramatic and most adventurous climb on this mountain. This particular review is on the less difficult route – The Marangu, adventurous, dramatic and breath-taking. I will write a separate review on the Machame (difficult) Route. The Marangu route is made up of varying vegetation zones giving climbers opportunities to feast their eyes on vegetation like they have never seen. The chagga porters are to be applauded for their great service in getting climbers luggage up and down this enormous mountain.

Climbing skill level: for the Marangu, there is no prior climbing skill required, however it is imperative to be in good health. If you have any health complications however negligable, I would not recommend it. At 19,000 plus feet, this is extreme altitude even for seasoned climbers. Minimum climbing is 4-8 hours a day, you must be comfortable doing so, otherwise you will not make it. There are rest huts along the way to help with acclimatization, nonetheless, being in good physical health is the single most important aspect of climbing, do not underestimate the fitness level, take time to train prior to going (I highly recommend hiking at higher elevation).

The Marangu route takes 5-6 days to climb and is about 96 kilometers climb. It is the easiest and most popular of the two routes (Machame and Marangu). Sometimes it is called the Coca-Cola route (not very sure why).

This is what the basic 6 days route looks like

Day 1: Marangu gate upto Mandara hut. Montane Forrest (5 hours climb)

Day 2: Mandara hut upto Horombo hut (6 hours climb)

Day 3: Horombo hut (this is a rest day or what is called the acclimatization day)

Day 4: Horombo hut upto Kibo hut

Day 5: Kibo hut onto Uhuru peak (Summit climb). This is a tough one, 6-8 hours climb. Cold, rocky and snow, but the reward is well worth it.

Day 6: Climb back down via Horombo hut to Marangu gate

Some requirements for Mountain climbing:

1.Sound Physical Condition

2.Hike at least 2 hours a week in higher or steep trails to improve cardiovascular

3.Waterproof, breathable & windproof jacket (outer wear like Ventex, Gore-Tex or Jeantex)

4.Waterproof, breathable & windproof pants (outer wear)

5.Polar fleece (middle layer)

6.Thermal underwear (under layers)

7.Mittens or warm gloves

8.Glove liners (if necessary)

9.One pair thermal (polertex) socks

10.Balaclava and Gaiters

11.Thermal water flask

12.Raincoat or poncho

(If you use a tour company, which you should, they will send you a list for the gear you need). Or you can rent it and I think you need a minimum of $1500 (but this was as of 2003 when I last climbed, prices may have gone up).

Checklist of what you need (it is important to have these otherwise no climbing)

*Valid Passport and Visa (visas can be got on arrival at the airport)

*Travel Insurance/ Medical Insurance

*Return airline ticket

*International health card/ yellow fever

Do not forget your camera or binoculars, you will not see what you see on your way up the way you see it going up and coming down you will not see much because you will be desperately wanting to get back down. Most of what you need to make this trip can be rented through Kilimanjaro gear rentals (it is much cheaper to bring your own though).

NOTE: Please do not forget to tip the porters (great people the Chagga), they do not get paid enough for what they do carry up and down this great mountain your luggage that you verily need to stay alive.

Enjoy, let me know your thoughts in comments below.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb