First wildlife


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
May 21st 2011
Published: June 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We arrived late tonight, Arusha Airport if a tiny little thing, maybe 100 ft. by 100 ft. We had paid the additional Euros to fly Economy Comfort class on KLM. Wise move. Not only was there additional legroom and seat recline, but it is first on and first off the plane, after Business Class, of course. We entered the organized chaos earlier than most on the full flight from Amsterdam. Tanzania Immigration fingerprints you on arrival, so each transaction takes several minutes to complete. A full Airbus took more than an hour to clear. Consequently we were waiting for the rest of the Tauck Tours members to clear immigration for quite some time. We had met a lovely woman on the plane who was meeting her daughter, who is in the Peace Corps near Arusha. We made sure her daughter was there to meet her before boarding the bus for the airport transfer.

What I first noticed while driving is the lack of any lights, nearly anywhere. The road was dark, people walking along. No lights in homes or towns along the way. When we would pass a lighted store or bar, it was the exception. Things we take for granted are a novelty in this place. A mongoose scurried across the headlight beam, our first wildlife of the trip.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb