Hatari Means Danger


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
August 18th 2007
Published: September 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=9mugZw7l3AY]
Giraffes!Giraffes!Giraffes!

The minute we pulled into the park.
(So if you've talked to me or seen me in the last couple days, time to be childlike and PRETEND I'm still in Africa.) :-)

For my second weekend in Tanzania I decided that I wanted to see more animals and take a little break from the group setting so I booked a weekend at Hatari Hotel in Arusha National Park. The driver from Hatari, Rashid, picked me up at CCS and took me for a afternoon game drive through the park on the way to the hotel. Rashid is a VERY safe driver (read between the lines: very SLOW driver) which worked out well for driving through the park.

On my last safari we barely saw giraffes and they were very far away. Arusha National Park definitely took care of the giraffe sightings. The minute we drove in the park they were right there. There are not as many animals at this park, but it was a beautiful and peaceful drive, filled with beautiful trees, lots of giraffes, many different types of birds and cool monkeys. Our drive in the park ended with a bunch of giraffes hanging out right near the hotel as we pulled up at sunset. Pretty nice. (little giraffe video to the right)

The lodge was the site of an old John Wayne movie called Hatari (I'll have to rent it now). The sleeping rooms and the dining area are in separate buildings and you are not allowed to walk without an escort in the evening because buffalos roam around the grounds in the evening. Dinner was served family style at one big table and I was seated next to a fun American family who had just finished climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro. I definitely have to plan that on my next trip.

As I mentioned, I wanted to take a little break this weekend, so I was very excited to have this PLUSH hotel room to myself, sleep in, get coffee delivered to my room in the morning, etc. I should have remembered "Hatari means Danger" when I woke up at 1:30 in the morning to a mouse nibbling on my finger in my bed! And, the hotel runs on a generator, which they shut off at night, so all I had was a very week, uncharged emergency light, but it was enough light to see two beady eyes looking at me on the side of my bed. The security guard came in for a look around but didn't see anything but the droppings and said, "oh yes, it is a mouse." Then he kinda gave me the "hakuna matata" meaning, "no worries you crazy American girl, go to sleep!" As he left my room he flashed the light outside of my room to show me the HUGE buffalo two feet away!

The second night, pretty confident the mouse had left the building, I was again excited for a long sleep. But the monkeys didn't think I needed sleep because they decided to chase each other back and fourth on the tin roof above my head all morning. I finally decided to get out of bed to go take some pictures of them and realized they wern't just being annoying, they were trying to tell me that Mt. Kilimanjaro was up (meaning clear view out of the clouds). My second sighting during my time in Tanzania, and this one was much better than the first.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Mr. BaboonMr. Baboon
Mr. Baboon

Or maybe it's a girl?
Colobus MonkeysColobus Monkeys
Colobus Monkeys

More tick hunting.
Giraffe BustedGiraffe Busted
Giraffe Busted

They always look at you like they were just caught in the act.
Eyelash EnvyEyelash Envy
Eyelash Envy

Just like my brothers, they get the big beautiful eyelashes.
Freeway GiraffeFreeway Giraffe
Freeway Giraffe

They didn't want to get out of the road. On the way to my hotel.
One MoreOne More
One More

Just love the Giraffes.
Another Cool TreeAnother Cool Tree
Another Cool Tree

After the mouse incident, I woke up at 6:AM to this beautiful light.
Safari RoadSafari Road
Safari Road

In the late afternoon, you'll find an empty road at Arusha National Park.
Monkey Alarm ClockMonkey Alarm Clock
Monkey Alarm Clock

They run back and forth on the tin roof. The roof of my room.
Mt. Kilimanjaro in the MorningMt. Kilimanjaro in the Morning
Mt. Kilimanjaro in the Morning

Worth the monkeys waking me up
Lookout PointLookout Point
Lookout Point

At the hotel, the lookout point to have coffee and watch the buffalo and giraffes.


10th September 2007

Love the giraffes..
I think the giraffes in the video were playing 'who can lean the hardest?' but that's just me. I love the pictures, especially of the giraffes, they are my family dont'cha know. (the height thing :D) And yes, I am pretending that you're still there. xxx
10th September 2007

back home
great pics - I have got to get to Africa!!! When did you get home? Are you in SF yet? CanĀ“t wait to catch up when I get back myself!!
10th September 2007

Oh show me a home where the buffalo roam...
.... and I'll show you a dirty house! Hi Christy, fabulous blogs and photos... you have turned this into an amazing storybook that is being shared with my son, and because it is real, it becomes an inspiration for both of us (as well as all of your friends and family, certainly). We are having our Inidan Summer now in San Francisco and the Peninsula, and the wild life here is just the usual politicians going ape and acting like hyennas. Stay healthy and centered.
10th September 2007

FACINATING!! FACINATING!! FACINATING!!! Living vicarously through you while sitting at my desk. You lucky girl to have such wonderful experiences with your travels! xoxo KB

Tot: 0.346s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 25; qc: 123; dbt: 0.2297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb