Day 229 - Skegness rock is hard to shift


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
February 16th 2007
Published: February 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We spent an hour or so in Arusha's town before the drive to Kenya. Here we had a rather surreal experience of sitting in an internet cafe next to a Masai warrior in the usual full dress. And we were also there when our new friend Laura found out the extremely welcome news that she's about to move to New York. So Congratulations for that, Laura.

At the Kenyan border the tourist-tat sellers were perhaps the most persistent and aggressive we've come across. For some reason, Ed's parents bought us a stick of Skegness rock each for Christmas and surprise surprise we hadn't got round to eating them yet. So we had a bit of fun trying to trade this rock for a bit of jewellery because - obviously - these Masai women weren't familiar with rock and expected it to be some high-tech device. They were shrewd enough to realise that they wouldn't really want it though and their best offer for a 400 Shilling rug was 400 Shillings plus the rock!

The campsite was only 2 minutes from the border which gave us a whole afternoon to pack our things and sort out how we were going to get our (Gemma's) souvenirs home. Karen and Laura very kindly offered to take a stone hippo bookend each, so we'll be repaying their generosity once we're back in England.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb