Community Theatre


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Morogoro
July 26th 2009
Published: July 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Dear VIPs (Very Interested...and Important People)
We just got back from a 5 day workshop in Morogoro on Community Theatre sponsored by Peace Corps. It has proven to be a successful and effective way to deal with the HIV/AIDS problem and gives us the tools for behavior change that is so necessary. Tanzanians have such a rich culture steept in oral tradition, movement, and music that it is a natural, culturally acceptable way of bringing a message to the people of the community. It's participatory and gets the audience to think, feel, and react to real situations which need behavior change: women's empowerment, HIV/AIDS stigmatazation, sexual activities.
Community Theatre is brought to the people. It can happen at a school, church, or meeting site with trained actors (that would be Dave, Wendy, and counterparts Kim and Edith who will teach the methodology to our Mtumbi Secondary School Life Skills students. They, in turn, will perform the drama for fellow students, primary students, and villagers. By participatory we mean that the audience can take a part of a character and show a different interpretation, emotion, or outcome...all which will lead to more discussion. We will look at the problem, root cause, consequences, and solutions.
We joined with other PCVs and their counterparts so the workshop was rich in diversity, cultural exchanges, and amature actors who were skillfully guided by professional TZ actors. We found it educational, stimulating, and fun! A valuable way to involve people in critical issues and outcomes is the aim. These are all issues which affect their daily lives. Let the play begin! We'll keep you posted as we develop our drama. In the meantime...waiting in the wings. Love, Dave and Wendy...P.S. Total book count for Mtumbi SS Library 1867.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.296s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.2103s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb