Second week of Language Training


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Morogoro
October 16th 2008
Published: March 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The second week of the training got more tedious and our group fragmented more and more. We all just wanted to get to our destination, know where we would be living, what our placements would be like and so on…
The food was getting more unbearable too, well it remained the same twice a day, every day. So with the combination of stodgy high carb food and getting on each others nerves, we went out for dinner in town with our small group of young vols a few more times to keep our sanity!
Naomi, the Kenyan girl, who was going to share the flat with, moved into the flat this week, so I was keen to hear from her, what it was like and how the first few days at work had been (The Kenyans didn’t attend the language training, as they speak a slightly different kind of Swahili in Kenya and VSO does not see it as necessary for them to get language training.). So I had to call her and ask her all about it. She wasn’t very descriptive, but the flat sounded pretty promising and workwise, she said it was too early to give some conclusive feedback.
We finished our two weeks of Morogoro with a joined dinner out at ‘Mama Piranha’s’. After eating there already a few days beforehand the landlady, half Greek half Italian but living second generation in the town, convinced us with listing up, what lovely lasagne, mussaka and so on she’s going to dish up for us, it was just to irresistible not to give in and it turned out indeed a very nice evening. The whole group including the teachers came and all tensions and worries about Swahili grammar and vocabulary seemed far away…


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Altar Wine from Dodoma, TanzaniaAltar Wine from Dodoma, Tanzania
Altar Wine from Dodoma, Tanzania

Possibly the worst wine I've ever tried, sort of like very sweet grape juice with alcohol in it...


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0653s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb