Amani Nature Reserve


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Amani Nature Reserve
January 8th 2010
Published: January 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Happy 2010 to All, It's not so bad turning 67 in a lush rainforest. Amani Nature Reserve was so beautiful and verdant. Calls from family and friends, along with birds, butterflies, and botanical beauty. We spend 3 night in the Eastern Usambara Mts, close to our Western Usambaras as the Pied Crow flies, but not via dirt roads. Not quite as high as our mts. but more dense forest and protected from lumber and farming concerns. The Germans came here in 1902 for lumber, but couldn't feasibily get into the heart of the forest so it still stands - a heavily foliaged area with big leafs and huge trees that make a home for the many birds, reptiles, anphebians, monkeys, and insects. To say nothing about the plant life. It was here that the African Violet began. It's a protected home and brings "amani" peace to all who come here. THe TZ gov is serving as a good steward of this land and small villages are joining in the saving of this ecosystem. We saw the Butterfly Project where villagers carefully collect adult "kipepeo" (butterfly), put them in a netted house for egg laying & Pupae growth, then bring them into the center where they process the orders from zoos, botanical gardens, and butterfly houses through out the world. This brings income to the villages and increases the butterfly population. The village women are now making jewelry from the patterned wings when an adult completes its life cycle. People in far corners of the world have come up with a beautiful word to say butterfly...and rightly so. They are truly one of God's masterpieces.
Amani is also home to the blue monkey and vervet monkey, trumpet hornbill, green headed oriole, Tamberline dove, and many species of frogs and chamelians. Wild impatients, ugly jack fruit, and lush green moss add to the damp smell of the forest primevil. It does remind us of a walk in a dense redwood forest, only with more diversity. "Happy Birthday" calls out Tarzan as he swings on the vines. A highlight was the night hike where night flies (fireflies) sparkled and cicada & frogs rejoyced in our muffled footsteps.
Whoever said "getting there is half the fun" was definitely not on public transportation on TZ roads. But, once you arrive safely at your destination, it makes the journey all worthwhile. Pangani Beach and Amani Nature Reserve are prime examples of "It's well worth the trip." Thanks for reading. love Dave & Wendy

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb