Seminar For The Saints


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Centre » Iringa
March 16th 2011
Published: March 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Carey & CharlesCarey & CharlesCarey & Charles

The second lesson. Right after lunch and no sleeping : )
One valid indicator of a congregation's development is her ability or inability to implement work with self-initiative. Some weeks ago, we missionaries were informed that the congregation was to have a seminar. We had no inkling about what they had in mind. A week or so later, David, the preacher, handed out to each of us a printed copy of the schedule. It was well organized with times set for each lesson, breaks, and the time for lunch. They requested that Charles have the lesson during morning worship, and that Carey and I each have a lesson after lunch. It was well announced some weeks before, and the Sunday before the event David made a special appeal to the membership that "unless someone was sick or someone died" that all should be present. It was announced that this was a special seminar directed toward the saints.

To many of our readers, the first reaction might be - "so what!" However, looking back on about four years now in Tanzania, many congregations seem to struggle to plan well for anything without the "nudgings" (and more) from missionaries. But our brethren are capable. We were particularly delighted to see our sisters present during morning worship. Why? Because we have often noticed our Christian sisters being absent from worship when they were busying themselves with food preparation for such an event. Such behavior reminds us of the contrast between Mary and Martha on one occasion when the Lord was visiting (cf. Luke 10:38-42). It seems that before last Sunday, arrangements had been made to have some non-Christian women to prepare the meal. After morning worship, the whole congregation went by foot to the home of Isaac, where very shortly the meal was served. The rice and meat and bananas tasted quite good. And bottled water and soda were also available.

When we arrived back at the building, with full bellies, and having walked in the hot sun, we were joking about the possibility of the congregation sleeping during Carey's upcoming sermon. But the attention was keen for both Carey's lesson and the one which followed. The theme for the day was: God is with Us. The first lesson delivered by Charles focused upon God being with His people in the Patriarchal and Mosaic times. Carey's lesson highlighted Immanuel - literally God with Us (cf. Matthew 1:23) and His ministry. The last lesson explained the coming of the Holy Spirit and His work of Inspiration and that God is still with his people today.

We came away from this seminar very encouraged. Our seats of course were a bit sore from the hours on the wood, but our souls and bodies were well fed.

Directly from the building the Jensen and Mwakalonge families headed to the hospital. Our sister Zawadi (translation= Gift) had contracted Malaria and was in serious condition. Also, the brother of Isaac had been hit by a car, and was also in the same hospital. We first visited Alex, who sat in pain on the edge of the bed, holding onto the wall with one hand. He had visible lacerations on his head and hands, and the stench in ward #5 was indescribable. Doctors had taken x-rays, but he would have to wait till at least Monday for the results. After having a prayer together, we left him with some juice and a few items to have at his bedside. We next went to ward #8 and there we found Zawadi lying upon the simple bed. As I greeted her, she sat up with difficulty. Her case had reached the point of needing an I.V. to administer the Malaria medication. Only after a number of doses was she finally feeling a little better. Having had malaria twice myself, I have some idea of the feelings. However, mine was always caught early, so I really cannot imagine how it must be to have such an advanced case. It is quite common for Tanzanians to seek treatment only when the parasites have multiplied in the bloodstream to a high level. Please stop your reading now, and say a prayer for Alex and our sister Zawadi. Thank you. We desire to resume our classes at Zawadi's house with her and her friends.

When we arrived back home it was about 6:00 p.m. What a tiring and good day! The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want! (Psalm 23:1).
George Jensen 2011

Advertisement



16th March 2011

There is life and then there is "real life" real life is where you Jensen's live and work. I am so grateful that the Lord saw fit to cross our paths this side of Heaven. The older I get the more I realize just what a blessing that encounter has turned out to be. I am never dissappointed, never discouraged, always lifted and elevated to wanting to be more for the Lord than I was before when I read and hear how you are living your lives. God bless you. just ken
17th March 2011

Little Steps Become Big Ones!
I really enjoyed this entry. It really is true that what many would consider ordinary/routine or even mundane can bring great joy on the mission field. It is great to hear that the brethren have taken this step. Keep up the good work! We love you all very much.

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb