Wanderings in Swaziland - 1 - Manzini


Advertisement
Swaziland's flag
Africa » Swaziland » Manzini
November 8th 2014
Published: November 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our journey continued south to the border with Swaziland. Leaving South Africa, for one day and night, involved passing through border control, walking through 200m of no-mans land, and then having our passports stamped with no great formality, at the Matsamo border control, allowing us to enter the Kingdom of Swaziland. A cultural dance show was performed for visitors followed by a traditional lunch. We drove south through farmland growing sugar cane, wheat & vegetables together with numerous cattle farms. The flat-lying farmland was set off by a backdrop of high mountains - leading some to use the term 'little Switzerland'. Cattle are held in high regard in Swazi culture, and can still be bartered and a gift of enough cattle can result in obtaining a wife or even secure an audience with the King!! Overnight was spent at an average hotel in Manzini although the local Sibebe beer was excellent and the people were very friendly. Next morning we had the reverse border crossing procedure back into South Africa.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0638s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb