Safari in Kruger Park


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
July 15th 2005
Published: July 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

2 Buffalos2 Buffalos2 Buffalos

I wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of these guys!
Geo: -24.1401, 30.9286

Going on safari has been one of my most long lived dreams and eventually I got to do it! And it definitely didn't fail expectations, it was even better. I was amazed we were lucky enough to see as much as we did in only 3 days. We managed to see all of THE BIG FIVE (elephant, rhino, lion, leopard and buffalo) Quite an achievement! Safari does involve a lot of driving and I found it very difficult to stay in the car and not get out to try and hug the lovely animals, especially the giraffes who were my favourites. Such a funny looking animal yet so elegant! It really is quite something to see the animals in the wild, especially as some of them are just so huge they seem completely out of place. Kruger is huge and of course the animal population is not just concentrated in one area so sometimes you can be driving for ages until you spot something (I was half expecting scenes from the Lion King!) You very rarely see different animals together. Wouldn't say it's the most beautiful of landscapes there, very dry and bushlike plus the elephants cause a huge amount of destruction. Absolutely amazing sunsets though, they were real Lion King moments!

We stayed in secure campsites, all fenced in, keeping the humans in a cage! Our guide Karen is now arranging for people to camp in the middle of the bush, genuinely in the wild without the security fences but guards with guns keeping an eye out. We had a look at the site. Staying there would be a real genuine experience. None of the animals come anywhere near the secure sites. However, you can still hear the lions roaring in the morning. Not enough to wake me up though. 3 days of waking up at 4.30am was beginning to take its toll!

We took the scenic route back to Jo'burg, along high mountain roads and past huge pine forests. Spectacular scenery


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

BuffaloBuffalo
Buffalo

These were the highlight of our night drive
Deer crossingDeer crossing
Deer crossing

Lots and lots of different types of deer at Kruger
ElephantsElephants
Elephants

Mummy elephant looked as if she was about to charge!
GiraffeGiraffe
Giraffe

My favourites!
HornbillHornbill
Hornbill

Otherwise known as 'the flying banana bird.'


Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0174s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb