Good Sightings on the Way Out


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
September 24th 2014
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Colourful01 Colourful01 Colourful

The ever colourful Tree Agama, as seen from the deck of our room.
Geo: -28.4791, 29.9289

This morning I couldn't resist having another sleep in. When I did wake up I made myself a cup of tea, put the robe on and sat outside on the deck. Here I watched birds hop about. Then just like yesterday morning, a male Tree Agama appeared. They are such colourful reptiles. I spotted him on a nearby rock, probably warming himself up.

After a little while I went back into our room and started to pack. After brunch today we were leaving Nambiti Game Reserve as the trip has come to an end. Later this afternoon we were dropping Juliane and Max back at the airport.

The others then returned from the morning game drive. On the way into the main lodge for brunch I spotted another male Tree Agama. This one was on the wall, gripping on somehow.

We enjoyed another yummy brunch with too much food. We then agreed to meet back in the main lodge in half an hour. This was enough time for us to shower and pack. We said our goodbyes to the lodge staff and just after 11 Kingsley drove us to the car park.

There were many various animal sightings along the
02 Stumpy Tail02 Stumpy Tail02 Stumpy Tail

Another colourful Tree Agama on the outside of the room.
way. Firstly we stopped to watch a hippo walk towards the dam. In the dam there were other hippos floating about. On the top of a hill there was a dazzle of zebras walking along. Around the corner we stopped to watch a couple of warthogs on their knees as they looked for food.

Close by we saw two giraffe and as we drove closer noticed that there were two more giraffe. The other two giraffe were much younger. The four of them could have possibly been a family. On the other side of the dam there was a herd of kudus drinking water as well a flock of Egyptian Geese swimming in the dam.

Further along the track we saw a herd of wildebeest grazing and a pair of male kudus. Not long after we arrived at the car park. Kingsley helped put our luggage into our car and then we were off. The last animal we saw was a large, ugly eland.

We were now on the way to the airport to drop off Juliane and Max. Tonight we were staying in Johannesburg and then tomorrow driving back to Madikwe Game Reserve, ready to work the day after.
03 Road Block03 Road Block03 Road Block

A hippo walking across the track towards the dam.
I really enjoyed this trip, it was a great experience in catering and was glad I had a chance to visit some new places in South Africa.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

04 Walking Off04 Walking Off
04 Walking Off

The hippo walking off the track.
05 Zebra05 Zebra
05 Zebra

A zebra looking at us as we drive towards the gate.
06 Hippo06 Hippo
06 Hippo

The hippo getting closer to the dam.
07 Floating Heads07 Floating Heads
07 Floating Heads

Four visible hippo heads floating in the dam.
08 Eating08 Eating
08 Eating

A warthog busy eating as it walks along.
09 The Rest09 The Rest
09 The Rest

The rest of the warthog gang.
10 Family10 Family
10 Family

Possibly a family of giraffe as they are all different heights and ages.
11 Drinking11 Drinking
11 Drinking

A herd of kudus drinking from the edge of the dam.
12 Geese12 Geese
12 Geese

Lots of Egyptian Geese swimming in the dam.
13 Grazing13 Grazing
13 Grazing

A small herd of wildebeest grazing.
14 Young Ones14 Young Ones
14 Young Ones

Two young giraffes looking at us.
15 Kudu15 Kudu
15 Kudu

A male kudu eating leaves.
16 On the Move16 On the Move
16 On the Move

This herd of wildebeest are on the move.
17 Eland17 Eland
17 Eland

The largest antelope - the ugly Eland.


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0235s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb