Such a Special Place


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
September 14th 2014
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

03 Red Flowers03 Red Flowers03 Red Flowers

A tree with red flowers.
Geo: -28.5306, 30.8958

We had an early start this morning as we wanted to drive out the camp gate as soon as it opened. Paul woke everyone up. As soon as I was up I packed some things for a morning game drive coffee stop. Once we had all eaten a little breakfast, we were on our way at 6am. This morning it was quite fresh, as all mornings at this early time of the day. The weather would warm up quite quickly though.

This morning Paul drove us along the Nghubu Loop, which is a 30km long circular drive and just the right distance for a morning drive. On the drive we had a great view of the reserve. We stopped to watch a troop of baboons run and jump along the edge of the cliff. The rest of the troop were close to the track and we watched them. The baboons were sitting in trees and on rocks as they observed the view of the bush in the early morning.

We saw old fig trees and marvelled at their magnificent above ground root structure. We drove along the cliff and looked up at the various coloured rocks. Our next animal sighting
04 View04 View04 View

A view of the reserve early in the morning.
were giraffe. There were old ones and young ones, as there was a range of ages, there was also a range of colours in their fur. Older ones were darker and the younger ones much lighter.

A small herd of waterbuck were also spotted in the long grass among bushes. Further along we stopped to watch the activity of a baboon. The baboon was walking along, picking up food and eating. Nearby a male baboon was trying to mate with a female, but she didn't seem too interested and ran from him.

At one stage we were driving through a thick area of bush. Paul stopped the car to look around. We all looked around too, hoping to spot something exciting. Then we all caught a glimpse of animal movement. It was a leopard, it had come out of the drain pipe which we had parked on. It quickly walked away from the road and into the bush. We were so excited and sat still very quietly hoping that it would come back. I wished that leopards were not so elusive! After about five minutes we gave up and continued our game drive. We made a note to come back
05 View05 View05 View

A view of the reserve early in the morning.
to this spot tomorrow in the hope of having a better leopard sighting.

Close to the baboons there was a small herd of wildebeest. Paul spotted a Secretary Bird in the distance in the grasslands area. It's a large distinctive bird with its black and white feathers. There were also a couple of zebras standing around and a large herd of wildebeest resting in the sun. It was now nearly midday and the temperature was quite warm. The animals were sensible as they were resting and not active. It was now time to head back to the lodge for lunch and rest before the afternoon game drive.

Outside our lodge we were greeted by the resident dassies who were trying to hide in a drain pipe. After lunch we all had a rest and did our own thing and agreed to meet back in the living room at 3:30pm for the afternoon game drive. I used this time to have a shower and a little sleep under the fan.

Just after 3pm I helped Paul prepare the cooler box with drinks and snacks for the afternoon game drive. I decided not to join them for the game drive. I wanted some time
06 View06 View06 View

A view of the reserve early in the morning.
to myself to wander around the camp and enjoy the swimming pool. As I helped Paul take the drinks and snacks to the car we saw the destruction. There were broken branches all over the driveway and piles of big elephant poo.

Before Paul had a chance to drive out with his guests, we then noticed the culprit – a large bull elephant. He was blocking the road. They had no choice but to wait until he moved away. So we all watched him as he ate and destroyed the garden. He was quite destructive as he brought down branches with his trunk. Finally he walked off onto a path and this allowed Paul to drive out.

I went back into the lodge and enjoyed having the place to myself. I went for a dip in the pool, but it was a bit too cold due to it being shaded by the lodge. It was still refreshing.

Half an hour later I went for a walk around the camp to see what wildlife I could spot. Just outside our lodge there were a couple of dassies jumping between large rocks. They are so cute with their short little legs and
07 In the Tree07 In the Tree07 In the Tree

A baboon sitting in the tree.
fat bodies. A shy male bushbuck was also spotted and ran away when I tried to get closer for a photo. I found some more dassies sitting on top of large rocks.

There were a troop of Vervet Monkeys who were foraging for food their natural way – not stealing from visitors! As I walked around I also saw lots of damaged that had been caused by the bull elephant. I walked through the reception to the deck. From here there was a great view of the waterhole. Unfortunately there were no animals drinking at the moment. I then walked through the empty restaurant to the deck to see the view.

From this deck I could hear the sound of an elephant moving through the bush. I could then see the bull elephant that had caused all the damage in the camp. I was sure that it was the same elephant as this one was also being tracked and had the device strapped to its neck. The elephant was happily eating as it walked through the bush in front of me. When he was out of view I started walking back to our lodge.

Along the way I stopped
08 On a Rock08 On a Rock08 On a Rock

A pair of baboons sitting on a rock.
to watch more furry dassies and I came across the male bushbuck again. It was now time for me to start preparing dinner. I had enjoyed my afternoon, but hoped that I did not miss out on an amazing sighting. Luckily things were going well with the catering and the guests were enjoying the meals. We enjoyed another delicious meal outside on the deck.


Additional photos below
Photos: 71, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

09 Roots09 Roots
09 Roots

The root structure of a Strangler Fig Tree.
10 Strangler Fig10 Strangler Fig
10 Strangler Fig

A Strangler Fig Tree.
11 Antelope11 Antelope
11 Antelope

An antelope that we came across on the morning drive.
12 View12 View
12 View

The scenic view as we drove along the Nghubu Loop.
13 View13 View
13 View

The scenic view as we drove along the Nghubu Loop.
14 View14 View
14 View

The scenic view as we drove along the Nghubu Loop.
15 Hiding15 Hiding
15 Hiding

A giraffe hiding behind a tree.
16 Tall16 Tall
16 Tall

A tall, adult giraffe.
17 Young One17 Young One
17 Young One

One of the young giraffes with its lighter fur.
18 Giraffe18 Giraffe
18 Giraffe

Another one of the giraffes.
19 View19 View
19 View

The scenic view as we drove along the Nghubu Loop.
21 Waterbuck21 Waterbuck
21 Waterbuck

A couple of waterbuck in the long grass.
22 Waterbuck22 Waterbuck
22 Waterbuck

A male waterbuck looking at us.
23 View23 View
23 View

The scenic view as we drove along the Nghubu Loop.
25 View25 View
25 View

The scenic view as we drove along the Nghubu Loop.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb