Last Game Drive in Kruger


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
December 3rd 2010
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Tortoise01 Tortoise01 Tortoise

We watched the tortoise until it safely crossed the road.
Geo: -25.1274, 31.9133

We had a small sleep-in this morning and had enjoyed staying in the basic hut- for the next week we were back in the tent again. Just after eight we hit the road in southerly direction towards Crocodile Bridge Gate. Along the way we saw a little tortoise walking across the road, many dung beetles on a pile of poo, elephants playing and rolling around in the mud at a very shallow pan and zebras eating grass.

At a small shallow pan we stopped to watch three white rhinos. They were just sitting in the water and resting their heads in the water. There were two adults and a younger rhino. As they were not at all active, we didn't stay long and continued our drive.

At Hippo Pools there was the option of going for a short walk along the river with an armed field guide. We choose to do this little walk. During our river walk we could see a buffalo in the water and a herd of impalas. At this moment in Hippo Pools, there were no hippos.

We thanked the guide and paid him then slowly drove towards the park gate. At the small shallow pan
02 Beetles Galore!02 Beetles Galore!02 Beetles Galore!

Lots of dung beetles walking about on the dung.
the three rhinos were still sitting in the water and now there was a fourth rhino visible. It was standing next to the pan. The largest rhino in the water now stood up and jumped on the back of the smallest rhino. Now all the rhinos were standing up in the pan. The youngest one then did a big wee into the water. The rhinos then started kicking their feet up and water was splashing about. Then they all slowly walked away from the pan.

Just before midday we exited Kruger Park. Wow, it has been such an amazing two and a half weeks. We have seen so many fantastic sightings. I have loved our stay and one day hope to return and enjoy many more amazing animal sightings.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

03 Elephant03 Elephant
03 Elephant

An elephant standing in mud.
04 Drinking 04 Drinking
04 Drinking

One of the elephants drinking from the shallow pan.
05 Herd05 Herd
05 Herd

The small herd enjoying the water.
06 Playing06 Playing
06 Playing

One of the elephants had a roll around in the mud.
07 Muddy07 Muddy
07 Muddy

One of the muddy elephants.
08 Rolling08 Rolling
08 Rolling

Then more elephants rolled around in the mud.
09 Resting09 Resting
09 Resting

Some of the herd had a rest in the mud.
10 Playing10 Playing
10 Playing

The elephants then played about with each other in the pan.
11 Playing11 Playing
11 Playing

The elephants then played about with each other in the pan.
12 Playing12 Playing
12 Playing

The elephants then played about with each other in the pan.
13 Zebra13 Zebra
13 Zebra

A couple of zebras eating grass.
14 Resting14 Resting
14 Resting

A trio of white rhinos resting in the shallow water.
15 Buffalo15 Buffalo
15 Buffalo

A lonely buffalo in the distance.
16 View 16 View
16 View

A view of the river.
17 View17 View
17 View

A view of the river.
18 Me18 Me
18 Me

Me and the river behind me during our walk to Hippo Pools.
19 View19 View
19 View

Another view of the river during our walk.
20 Reptile20 Reptile
20 Reptile

A small reptile.
21 Birds21 Birds
21 Birds

A pair of black and white birds with long tails.


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb