Off to a National Park


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
November 6th 2010
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Looking back01 Looking back01 Looking back

Looking back in the mirror I could see a few people selling stuff to motorists, usually useless stuff.
Geo: -25.2174, 27.0071

This morning we packed the car and were ready for our three night stay at Pilanesberg National Park. We were camping and there were many things to take and lots of things that I didn't want to forget. Forgetting important things would make it an unpleasant and uncomfortable trip. Paul and I travelled in one car and Lindin and Jen travelled in his car. It took us about 3 hours to get there including a very 'important' stop at a biltong shop. Biltong is dried, spiced meat, usually beef - a South African creation. Being a vegetarian I obviously didn't care for it.

During the drive there were many interesting sights that reminded me that I was in Africa. Such as, people selling you useless stuff at traffic lights (called robots here), very overloaded trucks and donkeys on the road. We entered through Manyane Gate. This was the first time that I had been camping in years, since my Topdeck tour from Istanbul to Amsterdam, which wasn't the same as this trip because now we had to bring all the equipment and food. I think we are well prepared though.

We checked in and choose a campsite. It was
02 Overload02 Overload02 Overload

Looks like they are moving house.
quite busy because it was a Saturday. We set up our campsite and explored the facilities. There was a swimming pool which will be perfect in this warm weather and even better to use once all the families leave tomorrow!

It was time to relax for a bit as it was too early in the afternoon to go for a game drive. Animals rest in the shade during the heat of the day and there isn't much to see until the weather cools down.

Finally it was time for a drive! I was really looking forward to the drive and wondering what amazing sights we were going to see. The last time I was in South Africa a few years ago, I found it fun spotting animals among the bush.

We saw an elephant, impalas, zebra, a lazy lioness, giraffe, warthogs, wildebeest, a gorgeous sunset, jackal and rhinos. Then it was time to return to camp. We were not allowed to drive our own vehicle in the park after dark. If we were late out of the park, we would have been fined.

There was a rugby game on that the guys wanted to watch, so we went to the bar at the
03 Donkey03 Donkey03 Donkey

A donkey in the middle of the road.
camp site. I got hungry and could not wait for the barbecue for dinner, so got a toasted sandwich and chips- perfect with my cider! We had an early night, as we were getting up a 5am to go for a morning drive.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

04 Hot Day04 Hot Day
04 Hot Day

It was early afternoon and already 35 degrees!
05 Entrance05 Entrance
05 Entrance

The entrance to Pilanesberg National Park.
06 Elephant06 Elephant
06 Elephant

A male elephant.
07 Eating07 Eating
07 Eating

The elephant eating what looks like prickles.
08 Impala and Zebra08 Impala and Zebra
08 Impala and Zebra

An impala and zebras grazing.
09 Lioness09 Lioness
09 Lioness

A lioness close by to the impala and zebra.
10 Sensing the Lioness10 Sensing the Lioness
10 Sensing the Lioness

The impala sensed the lioness and quickly left the area.
11 Giraffe11 Giraffe
11 Giraffe

A giraffe in the distance.
12 Warthog12 Warthog
12 Warthog

A warthog running away from us.
13 Dam13 Dam
13 Dam

The sun setting behind Mankwe Dam.
14 Dam14 Dam
14 Dam

The sun setting behind Mankwe Dam.
15 Dam15 Dam
15 Dam

The sun setting behind Mankwe Dam.
16 Wildebeest16 Wildebeest
16 Wildebeest

A wildebeest stopping and staring at us.
17 Wildebeest17 Wildebeest
17 Wildebeest

A wildebeest still staring at us.
18 Sunset18 Sunset
18 Sunset

The sun setting behind the mountain.
19 Sunset19 Sunset
19 Sunset

The sun setting behind the mountain.
20 Sunset20 Sunset
20 Sunset

The sun setting behind the mountain.
21 Grazing21 Grazing
21 Grazing

Wildebeest grazing.


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb