A total lack of pussy...cats.


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
June 28th 2010
Published: June 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well sports fans, here's the skinny: it's been a bit of a prick of a week.

Yes, we managed to be possibly the only team to exit this world cup undefeated. Yes, we managed to spend a week in Krueger park doing lots of game viewing. But dammit it wasn't quite enough.

After our experiences at the first 2 NZ matches we went into the Paraguay expecting a win. I repeat, expecting. While the world media said "well done NZ" we were all absoutely devestated that we couldn't quite crack it. However that's football, a dirty diving Italian, a dodgey refer, a bad offside decision, and you're going home early! So as much as we're bemoaning the fact that we didn't get a reason to go to Durban (for what would have been NZ vs Netherlands), we are quite excited by the future of football in NZ, and I know all 3 of us can't wait to get back and play again.

Aside from that we have been doing some "game spotting" in Krueger park. This has been insane. Our mornings have started at 5.30am, breakfast has been in the back of the ute we've borrowed in the form of chocolate and powerade. By mid day we're normally falling asleep so it's back to a rest area to purchase some food and coffee before we're on the road for the afternoon. From 4pm-5.30pm we're normally driving recockulously fast to get back to camp before they shut the gate. Then it's dinner in bed while we watch football, before falling asleep around 10ish. Needless to say we all went a little bonkers!

The game viewing itself was exquisite. After the disappointment in Pilansberg we had some incredible enounters with some massive family's of Elephants just walking across the road. What often happened was mum and bubs would cross, bubs would trumpet because of all the cars, but mum was normally calm. Then the teenagers would go all UFC on it and have these massive 1 v 1 fights on the road!!! Very scary, especially when they're 10metres away and getting closer, and behind you some idiot has parked right up your bum so you have no exit! We also nearly ran over a couple of Giraffes! Yes, they're very tall. Yes, they're majestic, but No, they're not easy to spot! Honestly, these things manage to merge into the wilderness like you wouldn't believe!!! We also managed to get intimate with some baboons!! But they wern't unhinged, just filthy, with lots of little ones playing around!

Unfortunately we didn't see any cats closer than 50 metres, and I came to not only see the big 5, but to photograph them! The big 5 being Leopard, Lion, Elephant, Rhino, and Buffalo. As a result we're doing some rescheduling.

Tomorrow we're heading to a luxury golf estate for a couple nights through Steve's family, then we get back to watch Uruguay vs Ghana, and either Portugal or Spain vs Praguay or Japan. Personally i'd enjoy seeing Span run riot over the Japs. Then we're renting a car and heading back to Nelspruit for more game viewing in a place a little further north called Hoedspruit. Here we're going to an animal rehabilitation centre, as well as a game reserve which gaurantees the big 5...so fingers crossed these damn photo's will happen!

Well it's time I sign off, we're about to go for a kick about at the school were both Steve's Dad and his Brother attended, and where Steve's aunty works as a teacher!

Still alive, still having fun, still missing you all.

Rich, Steve, and Tricky (Chris)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb