Around the World in 86 Days Part 5


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
April 14th 2010
Published: April 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We were excited about the revised itinerary and the 2 newly added ports of Mauritius and Reunion Islands. We had to go to the world map to actually find their location east of Madagascar off the east coast of Africa. Both islands reminded us of Hawaii with their craggy green mountains, volcanoes and sugar cane fields stretching all the way to the ocean. But their populations were very different. Mauritius was predominantly Indian with a strong Hindu influence and Reunion was totally French. On Mauritius we visited a nature park with 150 species of birds including 1 of the rarest birds in the world-the Mauritian pink pigeon among others that are indigenous to this area. We also visited a restored colonial house high in the hills that was built in 1836. Touring this home was like stepping back in time to a bygone era. But the most fascinating fact about Mauritius was its link to the now extinct Do Do bird. Apparently this island was the only known home of the Do Do from 1600-1680. On Reunion we spent the day at a very French beach resort. We spoke to a French shop keeper who had visited from Paris 20 years ago and never left. We walked around the downtown area looking in the shops, continued on to the marina and beach with a visit to the Aquarium and ended with a French jambalaya lunch at a lovely beachfront cafe.
Once we arrived in South Africa we knew we were closing in on the end of our cruise. Because our plans included a 6 day safari after disembarking the ship we decided against taking any of the ship sponsored day safaris. Instead we wandered around the little town of St. Lucia known for its hippopotamus boat trip where we had seen over 100 hippos in 2007. We also acquainted ourselves with Durban the 3rd largest city in South Africa. When we arrived at the port we were greeted by Zulu warriors in native costume. Our city tour included a botanical garden established in 1849, a vibrant Indian market with aromas of all types of exotic spices and a stop at the new contemporary World Cup stadium where the semi finals will be held this June. During this time we had a wonderful speaker, Daniel Silke who spoke passionately about South Africa from its past history up to the current time with all its progress and controversy. We also met a talented entertainer, Brandi Chapman who performed twice in the Constellation Theater. She included Chuck in one of her performances and we later learned that she had attended my Alma mater Mizzou. Remember in a previous segment our Mekong Delta memorable experience? Two of our Canadian friends who had dubbed Chuck as “Snake Eyes” (because he drank snake wine complete with snakes and scorpions) presented him with a rubber snake and sign for our cabin door. We also enjoyed the company of the wonderful crew, both old friends and new that contributed to us having the best time on board the ship!
Several hours after our departure from Durban en-route to Cape Town we heard the sound of a helicopter outside our cabin. The Captain came on the intercom notifying everyone to stay away from the 12th deck because there was a medical evacuation in progress. It was amazing to witness Captain Dag, the ships medical team and the helicopter pilot and staff working together to successfully complete the air rescue. The next morning we learned that the woman who was suffering from complications of a pre-existing condition was safely in a Durban hospital.
The formal farewell party is always a “mixed emotion” affair. The passengers enjoy champagne and caviar at a pre-dinner cocktail party, Captain Dag who is also getting off in Cape Town says a few words about the journey, there is a special performance of “Krew Kapers” and a crew salute and then we all adjourn to the Compass Rose dining room for a candlelight dinner. And another successful cruise comes to an end. Next stop Cape Town and our much anticipated safari experience!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



14th April 2010

Thanks again
Thanks again for sharing your adventures with us. Your enthusiasm is infectious, and we love your informative commentary and the geat pictures. You have such a love of travel and of life. We wish you smooth sailings and happy landings wherever you may be.

Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb