Day 1 to 10 - South Africa


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
November 12th 2009
Published: November 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay in blogging - things have been a bit hectic.

Jared & Megan's Wedding was beautiful. It was a good mix of people, and the venue was gorgeous. At one point, there was a bit of worry that the ceremony would have to be inside, but fortunately the weather permitted.


After the wedding we hung around the area and did a bit of the Midland’s Meander. On Saturday we went to Tala Game Park where we were able to see a lot of animals, and then on the Sunday we took a day trip up the Sani Pass to Lesotho, a landlocked country within South Africa. Only 4x4’s are allowed up the Sani pass and it took 4 hours to drive up the rugged road. Towards the top of the pass one of the other land rovers overheated so we had no choice but to join the locals in the highest pub in Africa.



From Caversham, we drove north to the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Game Park were we spent two days, three nights. We stayed in a purpose built tent, and animals were allowed to roam free around the tents. Although this sounds intense, we never felt unsafe. While visiting Imfolozi we managed to see 4 of the Big Five, the leopard being the elusive animal. Most of sightings were from the comfort of our own car but we did take a guided walk and night drive. On the walk, we tracked a white rhino and got quite close, but he either heard or smelt us and took off into the bush. We got close again but this time our guide threw a rock towards it and moved it away from us.



We departed the game park on Nov 5th and headed to Cape Town. That evening we met our group for the next 22 days. Lucky for us, we had a small group of 14 which meant lots of room in the truck. The group was a mix of ages and backgrounds so it made for a good time. Our guide and staff were very professional so we’ve felt relaxed and ready for whatever comes our way.


On our first day we drove to Cape Point, walked the trail to the Cape of Good Hope and then drove north to Trewal. All up, we drove for 7 hours. It wasn't too bad; most of us slept along the way and we stopped once or twice to stretch our legs. We stayed at a campsite that was located in a vineyard. We had a nice briar (bbq) and wine tasting, and according to our guide, MJ, they were easing us into this camping thing.



Advertisement



12th November 2009

I had no idea!
Rachel and Matt. I had no idea that you were taking a trip like this. It sounds like you plan to be gone for awhile? I hope that you have a wonderful trip! Please continue to blog. Keep Safe, God Bless, Susan
12th November 2009

WOW!!!
Your pictures are beautiful!!! Will look forward to seeing more pictures. Take care!!!
16th November 2009

Happy for you!
Your trip sounds wonderful. Like the pics. Looking forward to more blogs and pictures. Good energy, Bill

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb