Durban


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
October 14th 2009
Published: October 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Wave - Gateway - DurbanThe Wave - Gateway - DurbanThe Wave - Gateway - Durban

Amazing fun...but painfull if you get it wrong!
Week One complete! Have spent most of the time in and around Durban and Hillcrest. Weather has been ok...bit of sun and also a thunder storm (which...of course...we managed to get caught in walking home - nothing that an 8 rand emergency poncho couldn't handle though!) I have however found my new favourite sport...the wave! Check out facebook for photos but its basically a standing wave that you can bodyboard and surf on. Absolutly amazing. It was so good, we went back and spent nearly a whole day on it! It is situated in the Gateway - a huge shopping complex with every surf shop known to mankind there. I have also tried a 'bunni' (i think that is how you pronounce it); half a loaf of bread, empied out and filled with curry. Very hot but still good. We took a trip to the Valley of 1000 Hills - a beautiful area with stunning views but such a stark contrast in the standard to living compared to the area we are staying in. Everything changes literally within minutes of leaving the motorway. We ventured into a local pub to watch a Sharks rugby game (my new favourite team apparently) and also had a night out with Dan's younger cousins (who's friends introduced us into some drinks that i have literally never even seen or heard of before!) We have spent a couple of nights up at their house, an amazing property with zebras in the garden. Breakfast on one of the mornings took us to a little cafe on the hillside with a pet shop - although not a normal pet shop - there was the biggest snake i have ever seen, lizzards, toads and more spiders than you'd know what to do with! Oh...and there were lots of mice...and we all know how i feel about them! We have hired a car for two days as well which has made transport a lot easier. Having said that...we have managed to get slightly lost on both trips we have made. Dan's sense of direction is...different. Beware of taxis out here as well...they drive so fast and red lights mean nothing. Last night it was our turn to cook a meal for the people we are staying with so in traditional British style...we all had bangers and mash! Off to the Kruger National Park tomorrow so will update after that. P.s a guy we have met out here has introduced us to "The Game of Life" - whenever you say the word 'mine' you have to do ten press ups where ever you are...photos to come shortly of Dan doing press ups in a photo developing shop and me on a pavement in a thunder storm and torrential rain!)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb