Kruger and Cape Town with Chris!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
June 3rd 2009
Published: June 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

It's hard to believe that Chris's visit is over already, and that I leave for home a week from tomorrow. Chris and I had a great time in Kruger and in Cape Town. I especially enjoyed going to Kruger since it was somewhere I hadn't seen yet, though it was awesome being able to show Chris around Cape Town. The only bad thing was the weather didn't cooperate so we didn't get to hike to the top of Table Mountain.

Chris got here on May 24 (Sunday) and we had to get all packed for Kruger before going out to a restaurant that has live jazz music at the Water Front with a few of my friends. We had to get up really early on Monday morning for our 6:00am flight to Johannesburg. We rented a car in Johannesburg and drove to Kruger which was supposedly a 4 or 5 hour drive according to our directions. Unfortunately it took a lot longer. We didn't start off very well... we were pretty lost for awhile driving around near the airport trying to figure out where to go, which was especially bad since it was our first attempt at driving on the
OrpenOrpenOrpen

This is where we stayed at Orpen
opposite side of the road. Anyway, we had no idea how long it would take to get there or how far away we were so the drive was a little stressful. We ended up being really rushed to get there on time for the game drive we had planned, and decided we would just not do it. Then when we got there we were a couple minutes late for the drive and at reception they told us that the drive was waiting for us so we just quick grabbed warm clothes and our cameras and hopped in. It was pretty ridiculous and tiring day, but the game drive ended up being worth it so we were glad we were able to do it.On the drive one of the coolest things we saw was a hyena that came right up to the truck. He was just sniffing it and walking right next to us it was so cool. By the time we got back we were pretty exhausted and ended up going to bed really early.

The next morning (Tuesday) we drove from Orpen the camp that we had stayed at the night before to Lower Sabie. It was a pretty far drive so we spent all morning and into the afternoon just driving and looking for animals. It was really awesome. I think a highlight was finding this big area of water with a whole bunch of different animals around. There were hippos, zebra, wildebeest, impala and elephants there. It was so cool. It was really nice just being able to drive around and be relaxed and not rushed. We got to Lower Sabie in time to get some lunch and relax a little bit before doing another sunset game drive. Lower Sabie was really cool it would have been nice to have some more time to spend there. There was restaurant with a big deck area overlooking a river, and the place we stayed at there was right near the river and there were benches outside looking at the river. We didn't get to take advantage of that as much as we would have liked but we did see some giraffes out by the river.

On Wednesday morning we did a bush walk, which is a guided walk out through the bush looking for animals. The guides have rifles just in case. We had a jackal follow us for a little bit when we first started walking. It was really cute. The biggest thing we saw was rhino, which I didn't realize how big they are until we were approaching it on foot. We also saw some wildebeest and warthogs. We didn't see a ton of stuff while we were walking but it is really cool learning from the guides. They show you little things like foot prints and we found a porcupine quill, and they also tell you a lot about animal behavior, and hints for signs to look for to find animals. It was very interesting. One thing was when we were trying to get close to the rhino we had to be really careful not to let the wildebeests notice us because if the wildebeests saw us they would alert the rhino and it would just start running.

That afternoon we drove around ourselves for awhile and tried to find some lions. We never found one though but I guess we can't complain because we saw just about everything except for a big cat. We then headed to crocodile bridge where we decided to grill something for dinner. Unfortunately they didn't have just have beef at the store so we tried some kind of deer type thing and it was kinda weird, it was still fun making it and everything.

We got up bright and early once again on Thursday morning to start our long drive back to Johannesburg. We left just after 6:00 because we wanted to get there by 3:30 and we were afraid it would take as long as the trip to Kruger. However it didn't take nearly as long, I guess since we were leaving from a different gate, and we ended up getting to Jo-burg at about 11:30am. We ended up going to this place called Kempton Park and doing a little bit of shopping, and then went and returned the car and waited around in the airport for awhile. I tried to do some studying for my final I had on Friday.

On Friday we went into Cape Town and went to Green Market Square and Long Street and did some shopping. We went on the minibus taxis so Chris finally got to try them out. Then I had a final, which I think went pretty well even though I was a slacker about studying for it. Chris went along to UWC so he could see where I went to school this semester. I think he worked on his online class while I was taking my final. After the final we went out to dinner with a bunch of my friends for Jess's last night in Cape Town.

Saturday we wanted to hike up Table Mountain but it seemed pretty cloudy and rainy so we decided to take the train to Simonstown and go to Boulders Beach and see the penguins. The train ride is beautiful it goes along the coast and is sometimes right next to the ocean. There were baby penguins there this time so that was really cool to see.

Sunday we once again wanted to hike up Table Mountain and it was once again cold and rainy. We decided to hike anyway just not up to the top of the mountain. There is a trail that goes around the side of the mountain called the contour path, so we decided to go on that trail. We ended up walking the whole way from my house to Cape Town which might not mean that much to anyone at home since they don't know how far it is, but it was a really long walk. It was nice to get out and do something even though it was kind of rainy. Sunday night we went to a restaurant where Chris could get some Sushi; it also had chinese and thai food for me to choose from. I actually kind of liked the cucumber and avocado sushi this time though. We also went to Cafe Sofia for some live jazz music on Sunday night.

Monday it was finally nice out but I had a final right in the middle of the day from 12:30-2:30. Chris and I went out for breakfast and then he headed into the city while I was taking my final. By the time I was done there was not enough time to hike up Table Mountain before dark, but we decided to hike up part way for the sunset. We went up Platteklip Gorge a little bit and there was an amazing sunset. Unfortunately my phone died as soon as I tried to call a taxi to pick us up and we had to walk in the dark for awhile, before luckily finding a taxi and then headed to Cafe Africa for dinner, hoping that it was around 7:00 because that's when our reservations were but not knowing what time it was since my phone was dead. I had eaten there with Arcadia once right after I got to Cape Town, and then had won a gift certificate at a information meeting for 2-way travel a travel agency that caters to international students, so Chris and I got a huge delicious dinner for free 😊.

On Tuesday, I guess that is actually just yesterday, Chris had to leave 😞. We didn't do a whole lot before he left because the weather was kind of cloudy and rainy once again. We went out for breakfast, and walked up to UCT's campus. We got really wet because it started raining a lot. Then we came back and ate and 2:30 came around and Ivan took us to the airport. It was so nice having Chris here! We had a great time. Now I just have to take 3 more finals and get ready to go home next week! I can't believe I'm leaving next week but it will be nice to come home and see everyone!!!








Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

Chris and IChris and I
Chris and I

this was on the bush walk the guide took a picture for us
Lower SabieLower Sabie
Lower Sabie

this is where we stayed at Lower Sabie
Devils PeakDevils Peak
Devils Peak

My house is on the left just past that car
view from trainview from train
view from train

On the way to Simonstown


3rd June 2009

It looks like you two had a lot of fun! I'm so glad Chris got a chance to come visit you and see all those amazing sights. So you've defected over to the "I like sushi" side...I guess I can live with that : p See you next week!!!

Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0916s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb