The Cape of Good Hope


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
February 10th 2006
Published: February 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Zulu HelloZulu HelloZulu Hello

Along the southern, Indian Ocean coast highway, an entrepreneurial Zulu warrior supports himself by waiting at a rest stop, welcoming travelers with African enthusiasm, giving his political opinions if asked for, and accepting donations.
Hello, since we spoke to you last we ended our two week guided tour through this most interesting and beautiful country. We've spent the past week in Cape Town, which reminds us of the landscape and climate of the San Francisco Bay Area. We've also been staying with friends, in their homes, so don't feel so much like outsiders or tourists, and we've met so many nice people!

During the dark days of Apartheid, South Africa was one of the world's most despised countries, boycotted by the world. In the 90's when racial segregation was ended, Nelson Mandela urged the majority blacks not to seek revenge, but to work together (and with the white and colored minorities), to build a country of their dreams.

As a result, South Africa is one of the world's most popular countries, a multi-cultural land, mostly efficient and modern, not so much third world. There is reason for optimism (hence the 'good hope'), as the government helps to ease the plight of the poor, and to move more people into the middle classes through education and work opportunities. However, the birth rate is highest among the poorest, and not everybody takes advantage of educational
The Cutest OstrichThe Cutest OstrichThe Cutest Ostrich

This ostrich near the home of early feather barons, the Lipshitz family. In the 19th centuries, ostrich feathers were a luxury for their beauty, silkiness, and lightness.
opportunities or has the energy to seek work. As a result, every home has burgler alarms, there are security guards everywhere, and people don't walk the streets at night, but in daytime one can walk almost anywhere safely.

We have two more weeks in Africa, so will travel up to Victoria Falls next week. More travelblog to come...


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Evi Rides AgainEvi Rides Again
Evi Rides Again

Evi rides ostrich in Oudtshoorn, the center of the South African ostrich industry. Ostriches are raised for their meat, leather, and feathers.
Penguins GalorePenguins Galore
Penguins Galore

Not too many places in the world where one can see penguins, but this beach in a suburb of Cape Town is one of them. These little penguins, small enough to fit in a backpack, live in harmony with their warm environment.
Near the Southern Tip of AfricaNear the Southern Tip of Africa
Near the Southern Tip of Africa

This point, not far from the Cape of Good Hope, is located at the southern tip of the Cape Peninsula, just south of Cape Town. Only about 5000 km further south, and you've reached the south pole. Then you can start going north again. Oh, by the way, the sun crosses the sky from right to left.
This Way to EverywhereThis Way to Everywhere
This Way to Everywhere

Howard points the way to far-away places. Just ask.
Grooming BaboonsGrooming Baboons
Grooming Baboons

Two baboons sit and watch the tourists driving by in Cape Point Park. Signs warn travelers not to confront the baboons or hike with food in backpacks, which the animals sometimes steal away.
Girl Contemplates LunchGirl Contemplates Lunch
Girl Contemplates Lunch

We went to this fish restaurant where most people order this 'little' dish, containing most of the fruits of the sea.
Sunday Afternoon Family OutingSunday Afternoon Family Outing
Sunday Afternoon Family Outing

Family sleeping under tree in park on a lazy, warm, Sunday afternoon in Cape Town.
Cape Town from AboveCape Town from Above
Cape Town from Above

Cape Town is in a most beautiful setting, surrounded by mountain, sea, and beautiful Mediterranean foliage.
Volleyball ParadiseVolleyball Paradise
Volleyball Paradise

Along the Atlantic coastline, in a tony town along the Atlantic (west) coast of Cape Town (which faces northward), yuppies play late-afternoon volleyball in a most beautiful setting, don't you agree?
Don't Bet Against NatureDon't Bet Against Nature
Don't Bet Against Nature

The thundering sea crashes against rocks in Hermanus Bay, one hour east of Cape Town.
Dude, where's my beach?Dude, where's my beach?
Dude, where's my beach?

Surfer tools his rod along the Atlantic southern coastline in Hermanus.
If I Was a Bird, I Could Live HereIf I Was a Bird, I Could Live Here
If I Was a Bird, I Could Live Here

Birds pause a moment from their busy schedules to admire the peace and beauty of their environment.
Heaven Looks Like ThisHeaven Looks Like This
Heaven Looks Like This

Setting sun casts a warm glow over the coastal road along Atlantic Coast, east of False Bay and Cape Town.
Whispers of WhiskersWhispers of Whiskers
Whispers of Whiskers

Winds from the cooler sea mix with the warm sun-filled rocks and create their own clouds.


11th February 2006

Does the fun never stop??:) You are some of the luckiest people in the world!! xox
18th February 2006

Goodness knows where you are now. We look forward to reading your next journal. Enjoyed Camps Bay. Got a car for three days and visited Winelands etc. Back home now - heavy frost this AM. (got to get back to Tom Wolfe now!)

Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 69; dbt: 0.088s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb