In which we learn about scale/relatively and climbing


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
August 10th 2008
Published: August 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We knew it would be cold but no-one warned us that South African hostels don't have heating - they have fires instead - nice until you have to leave the fireside. During the day the lovely sun kept us warm but at night we found ourselves huddled round an outside fire at our first hostel in Stellenbosch.
On our second day we decided to get active and cycled 15km to a beautiful nature reserve called Jonkershoek where we hiked for 10km. Feeling very virtuous we stopped for a wine tasting on the way back. Returned to the hostel rather light headed to find the staff all drunk and doing shooters with no nice warm fire going. Seizing the initiative we foraged for firewood (at the local petrol station) and with the aid of an entire box of firelighters soon had a good blaze going. And in true backpacker tradition we were soon having a merry singalong with some very nice people who played guitar very well. Our very own Sidmouth Folkweek - one of the guitarists had played at the festival a number of times. And his girfriend knew some distant relatives of Zoe from Bridport pretty well.
This is know as the Sidmouth syndrome. It means that if you are from Sidmouth no matter where in the world you go you will meet a)your neighbour b) your GP c)your best friend from when you were 8 d)anyone else who has ever been to Sidmouth or has a connection no matter how obscure.
The next day saw us red eyed and droopy tailed heading off to Wilderness where we had booked a night in a lovely beach hostel.
Checking the map 10 minutes into the journey we discovered it was 550km away (this is known as scale on a map- it doesnt look very far on the teeny weeny map but that can be deceptive - lesson learnt). After a beautiful journey kept lively by our animal spotting. Eric - “look calves” (they were sheep) Zoe - “look ostrich” (it was a cow) both - “look elephant” (it was) we arrived and decided to extend our journey here.
We had a great two days at beautiful Wilderness (see pics). We then headed on to stay in a shed in Swellendam - more fun than it sounds. However we decided to take a 5km hike before breakfast and chose a 'relatively easy hike' up the waterfall. So 8am the next morning found us scrambling hands and feet up a vertical gorge pursued by a pack of rabid bobbejanen (baboons).
Next day we headed to Cape Town where we were expected at the Long Street Backpackers, a nice courtyard and friendly staff who informed us that all the shops were closed and the place would be like a ghost town on Sunday. It was also recommended not to leave the street after dark except by taxi which didnt fit our budget- ah yes “THE budget”..... Anyways we just took it easy in te evening as we knew the next day would be a big one climbing Table Mountain.
And it was. Despite our plan to take it easy on the way up the mountain we were seized by a crazy competitive determination to overtake anyone ahead of us. An hour and 10 minutes later we were atop the mountain. And very pleased with ourselves we were too. Until the next day when our legs started to hurt...and the next day...and the one after that. Now we are off to meet the group we will travel with for the next 6 weeks - hope they are nice!




Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb