And Then There Was Light


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
May 28th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Wanting to get a taste of the South African way of life, Gene and I opted to take a private tour of the Dixie and Utah villages. To our amazement, the villages were first supplied with electricity just three days prior to our visit. Our Djuma guide, Abel, a local villager, informed us that he would be visiting his home for the first time since the electricity was turned on. According to what he had been told by friends and family, the people were celebrating around the clock, blasting music from the windows of their homes. Gene and I were dumbfounded by the notion of life without electricity in today’s day in age.

As we pulled into the village past roaming livestock, it became immediately apparent to us that the housing community is undergoing major developmental changes. Abel advised us that while the government provides the villagers with land, it is the peoples’ responsibility to purchase building materials and construct their own homes.

Property lines are established by makeshift fencing erected by the locals. Landowners buy as many cement blocks as they can afford at any given time and start to build; they then add on to the house as they can afford to buy more material. As a result, many of the homes built remain unfinished, yards occupied by random piles of building blocks. Cows and pigs wander freely about; those that are contained are housed inside small animal pens constructed of standing tree branches. Bricks are afforded only by the wealthy.

Many of the yards also contain domelike huts that are built when a family member passes away. The deceased’s belongings are then placed inside of the hut, which is believed to be a “spirit house” where the spirit of the deceased remains. I also noticed several graves maintained on family property.

Gene and I were fortunate enough to be invited into Abel’s home, which appeared much larger than many of the neighboring residences. To our surprise, Abel had already purchased a 32-inch television, stereo and DVD player for his children, which cost him approximately 6000 Rand or $1000 USD. He explained that locals are able to purchase goods on installment plans and that many families purchased electronics years in advance in anticipation of the electricity promised by the government. Until that time, Abel owned a refrigerator, which was run on liquid petroleum gas. Turning the lights on from room to room as he guided us through his home, he proudly showed off his newly purchased electric freezer.

After meeting his youngest brother, who appeared to be taking full advantage of Abel’s new toys, Abel explained that the youngest male of every family is expected to stay at home with his parents, even after marriage; that son then inherits the parents’ home after their death. Abel, on the other hand, is responsible only for providing for his own wife and children.


Our tour was topped off with a visit to the local pre-school comprised of 130 children, ages 1 through 6, who are divided into three separate classrooms according to age. The school was the first ever to be built within the village and was funded by the owner of Djuma Bush Lodge. Our $25 per person cost of the tour was donated in full to the school for teaching materials, school books, building maintenance, etc.

There is also a primary school and high school within the village, which was built with the aid of Nelson Mandela.

Children in the village are now required by law to attend pre-school so that they can begin the process of learning and remain active. They are taught English as early as pre-school in addition to their native language.

I once again found myself fighting back tears as all 130 children grouped together and sang the two of us nursery rhymes in English. Some were dancing, some were singing, some did their best to do both, and some just stood there staring back at us with boogers running down their nose. What they all had in common, however, was an innocence and ignorant blissfulness had only by a child who knows no better.

Gene and I shortly thereafter found ourselves purchasing overpriced souvenirs and imperfectly-made jewelry from the locals with the hope of giving a little something back.




Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



26th June 2007

so far from home...
and still they have lay away. it touches the heart.
26th June 2007

Amazing
To read this and reflect on the insignificant, trivial concerns that have been plaguing me this morning... It really puts things in perspective. What an amazing trip, you guys! Can't wait to see what was next on your travels!

Tot: 0.291s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 90; dbt: 0.1175s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb