South African Safari Guide to Safe & Healthy Travel


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
February 19th 2021
Published: February 19th 2021
Edit Blog Post

South Africa is widely considered one of the easiest and safest countries in Africa to visit. Nearly 3.5 million tourists arrive per year in order to explore its natural landscapes, rich culture, and variety of wildlife. So if you are nervous about booking that dream trip to South Africa, worry no more. Here are five tips to ensure your next South African safari is not only safe, but also incredibly special.

Choose Private Services

While traveling on your own to South Africa is certainly doable, it is not always recommended. A local private guide can not only steer you away from the crowds but can also introduce you to regions that would otherwise be inadvisable for your to visit on your own.

Private touring opens up more possibilities than you could ever dream. This could be after-hours access to a popular museum or a private horseback ride through the Winelands. Perhaps it is a solo boating excursion to witness the southern right whales in Hermanus or a secluded sundowner on a private game reserve.

It may even be as expedient as VIP meet and greet services at the airport. This ensures you are able to exit the airport as fast as possible with minimal interaction.

The beauty of private services during a South African safari is the safety and security they afford. Someone—be it a driver or a guide—is with you and your belongings at all times. They always have such essentials as hand sanitizer and bottled water on offer. Moreover, they know the lay of the land, from the nearest hospital to the safest road to travel.

Go Remote

One of the healthiest ways to experience South Africa is to go remote. The country boasts several private game reserves and hidden gems outside the more popular tourist spots.

For example, a breath of fresh air will do you good at Grootbos Private Nature Reserve. This UNESCO World Heritage Site invites you to get lost in the flowers and to hole up in a private home, away from the masses. Between the private staff and wildlife of Walker Bay, it’s an ideal place for you to recharge and get away from it all.

Another health benefit of being in the middle of nowhere is the peace found there. Imagine sleeping in an open-air tree house with nothing but the blazing stars above and the sounds of the animals below to keep you company. Many luxury lodges offer this sleep-out experience from the safety of their own private game reserves.

Buy Travel Insurance

Even if you consider yourself strong and healthy, you should still purchase travel insurance.

Travel insurance is great to have on hand in case you encounter any unforeseen flight cancellations or trips to the hospital. Depending on the policy, it can also incorporate such benefits as overseas health insurance and unexpected expense insurance. Without both, you could find yourself stranded without access to care or even your luggage should it get lost.

Another important piece of insurance to consider is for emergency evacuation. This is the best provider of umbrella safety you can have, no matter where you are traveling. It covers you, whether you require immediate medical treatment or need to depart due to local crises.

Read Up on Protocols

One of the best benefits of booking a South African safari with Ker & Downey is your access to pre-departure documents. These offer insights into the country’s culture and currency, as well as important health and safety protocols.

That said, it is still advisable to read up on the latest health recommendations on the CDC website ahead of your holiday. It communicates the necessary immunizations, virus tests, and medications (such as antimalarial drugs) required for your trip based on where you are traveling. It may also notify you of any tracing apps you will need to download on your phone during your stay in South Africa.

Bring the Basics

It can be daunting to pack for safari. What clothes keep you safe from both the sun’s rays and the bush's insects? Will you be able to drink the water, or do you need to pack your own bottles? Do you need to go as far as bringing your own first aid kit?

Luckily, Ker & Downey sends personalized packing lists based on your destination ahead of your departure. Most necessities, such as water bottles, mosquito nets, and first aid kits will be widely available should you book through Ker & Downey.

Nevertheless, it is still important to bring the basics with you. This includes alcohol-based hand sanitizer or wipes, your own insect repellent, sunscreen with SPF 15 or greater, and sunglasses along with a wide brim hat. You may even want to pack earplugs in case the animal sounds keep you up at night!

Whatever you do, be sure to stay away from brightly colored clothing, which make you stick out on safari. Also avoid dark blue and black, which are known to attract mosquitoes and tsetse flies.

Consult Ker & Downey’s safari packing guides for more ideas.

These five tips are invaluable to ensuring you South African safari keeps you both safe and healthy. Contact a Ker & Downey designer today to begin planning your dream safari. For even more travel inspiration, follow us on Instagram and Facebook.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.701s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb