Walk and Wine


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape
February 24th 2008
Published: February 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We woke up to a gorgeous, sunny morning. Pat, Adam and I went for a walk around the Rooi Els village, and it is really a beautiful setting. We walked down to the beach where the Rooi Els River meets the sea. The rock formations, the variety in houses, sandy beach, seaweed, birds, dassies (little rodent-related furry animals that scurry over the rocks in the sunshine - apparently they’re actually related to elephants) all made the walk a wonderful one.
Next the full crew hopped in the car and headed to Spier, a sort of compound that includes wine-making, wine shops, the restaurant Moyo, other restaurants, cheetahs that you can pet (and we did!), a whole bird area where they are preparing birds that have been harmed to heal and go back into the wild. We watched a secretary bird, Mary Anne, go for her daily feeding which was quite a show! And, I held a Wahlberg eagle on my arm. We had a fantastic lunch - a huge buffet with all sorts of options. Delicious fruit, a variety of salad items, all sorts of meats (lamb, oxtail, chicken, mussels, calamari, hake, etc.), sides, various breads and dips, the list goes on. We had a white Spier wine with lunch that was “cool and refreshing” according to them and I will concur. There were face painters who came around to the tables, singing/dancing crews with drums and percussion-type shakers, even a duck with her chickadees. The whole afternoon was quite an enjoyable experience.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Spier owlsSpier owls
Spier owls

These two were hissing at each other - it was quite a scene
Pat and AdamPat and Adam
Pat and Adam

at lunch at Moyo
The bird guy and the eagleThe bird guy and the eagle
The bird guy and the eagle

that eagle loves him!


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb