Update


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Knysna
November 5th 2014
Published: November 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hello to all our readers. The proprietor, editor and chief reporter of this blog ,that's vicki if you had not guessed, has allowed her cub reporter, that's me, access to the techie stuff to provide an update on our travel adventures. We are experiencing somewhat of a hiatus at present in that the weather has taken a bit of a downward turn with grey skies, cool winds and some spectacular thunder storms. There is no such thing as bonfire night here in SA , in fact we have learnt that carrying, or using fireworks here is an arrestable offence, but the night skies have been illuminated by fork and sheet lightning giving us some terrific shows. It was also Halloween but it isn't a major thing over here. Perhaps understandable can you imagine knock knock, hi Oscar trick or treat!!!!! Dispite the change in the weather we still seem to stick to what has become our routine. A healthy fruit breakfast followed by discussions as to the days agenda which always seem to start with a puttle round followed by a luxury coffee complimented with some patisiere or another. Then a walk on a beach, a marine watch experience and then we search out a bar or restaurant in which to while away an hour or two, or three, or four! Depends how good the establishment is but so far I have to report that the standard of the places we have frequented has been amazing. So much so that we have lost count of the number of times we have said we must go back there! It's a pattern that is aptly described by this quote we saw printed on on of the menus whilst in one of the afore mentioned hostileries Day offers two equally necessary sacrements, the benediction of morning and the absolution of dusk. In the morning coffee blesses and in the evening wine absolves. yep that seems to sum it up. On a more serious note without trying to sound like a travel agent for the country we both continue to be blown away by the beauty of this part of world. the landscape is truly amazing, the people we meet seem so friendly and happy. The facilities are excellent and when you accompany that with the low cost of living and the high standards of food and drink it's no wonder we elected to spend three months of our tour here. There are of course issues to take into account. Yes there is crime and violence, but which country is totally immune from that? like anywhere you have to use common sense as to where you go and at what times. For me, well I am amazed that there is not more ill feeling for it is an area markedly divided between the haves and the have nots. I have never experienced such a wealth divide. On one hand there are the most lavish beachfront,cliff side properties, worth millions and on the other townships with little or no facilities that are shocking indictments of the progress this country has made since the days of slavery. Poverty is all around us but to the great credit of the people we have meet who live and where they can find work their spirit, their positve outlook is a joy to behold..

Ohhhhh just noticed vicki slapping on the sun cream so will sign off for now and join her on the balcony for a few rays!

Had a very special day today. walking with elephants! At a nearby elephant santurary we were privileged to be able to hand feed, touch and walk with these magnificent beasts. The sanctuary has been set up to house Ellie's orphaned in the wild at various locations throughout africa and because they have been hand reared they can not return to the wild and are comfortable in human company. We were paired with a cute nine year old who the gamekeeper discribed as a naughty boy. He lived upto his rep by walking more or less where he wanted, when he wanted and at a pace he was happy with. Great fun but just because of the sheer size of them we had to keep our wits about us at all times. All in all a once in a lifetime opportunity we shall never forget.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb